Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass work for Gladius in process.
Hm ok, for future reference then. Thanks. I think I have linseed which I used for some hard wood bowls from Costa Rica...I don't want to do any more sanding as I spent an hour and several cuts hardening the surface of the wood with fine sand paper taped around a rounded file... :neutral: uh, but yeah, next oil I use will be linseed!

Yes sir. I saw a few like it, including this one Hispaniensis, and decided that this way it would be a little easier sanding it down, I mean, just working on one piece I found was better. When you make 3 separate pieces, you have to worry about how things fit etc. I would think that, when a legionary had all three sections of the hilt wood, it would generally be one piece. I would think it would be easier for the guy making it. If it was 1 third bone, the no choice but to have 3 separate.
The handle is made up of about 8, 1/8th inch mahogany sheets. I bought a plank, and cut equal lengths maybe 8 inches long.... I then glued them in twos, which was about the thickness of the tang, and the middle section I cut apart in half, I could then pull them out of the middle so at the sides they would stick out, thus be making a gap in the middle where cut to allow the tang to slide right down the cavity. The gap was set at an angle as the tang tapered. I glued the 4, two piece joined units together with the correct width of gap in the middle section for the tang ( tight fit!) , using a big vice and about, 7 clamps...I used this glue that comes in a see through bottle, big, glue looks like yellow custard, and has a blue label...( yes I relate most things to food :grin: ) I left it for about 4 days clamped and a 3 until I started working it. It was now a very solid block, with a gap... I filed the wide gaped area which was to go up to the guard, and I filed it super flat for a good fit. I had to use a long file to widen some areas of the gap and every file or two, re tested it on the tang for a snug fit. I then filed some mahogany dust and kept it pure, mixed it with the great glue. This was like a thick fudge, with a milk chocolate color. I used this to put between the guard and the block when I clamped the two together. I also filled the cavity with this which filled any gaps around the tang. With the tang itself I ground little teeth into it which would assure the handle would never slide off even with the pommel. The thick fudge would fill the gaps from the teeth, and when harden, literally be like tarmac. So with the block clamped to the guard, imagine a g clamp from the guard to the end of the block where the pommel would be, pushing the block right up to the guard. Then the fudge would fill any small cavities and would be finalized! When the block had set on the tang, which I left for a couple weeks I started to form the handle, filing off square edges since my guard is oval,...the rest you can guess right Smile

( I'm sorry guys, but the guard is brazed on :? with brass brazing rod..did a good job, not PERFECT but I'm filing it right down, rough areas, and polishing it. You won't see it. I even forget about it at times)

So I spoke to a guy about my terminal knob problem, he said that marine shops sell solid brass everything, so I'll check that out. I'll also look into hardware stores on the internet for those brass balls. I don't want ten, and I do have a little budget. The brass guard at the metal yard cost me $18-20!!!! Confusedad: Confusedad: Confusedad: Confusedad: Still have left overs! :grin: I was thinking of cutting out about 4-5 of these...almost 1/4 inch circles and soldering them together, then filing down groves and drilling a hollow bit for the gutters to go into....idk...

I guess that's enough for you to digest. I hope it's okay... I didn't have RAT at the time... just pictures of he internet to follow :neutral:
meh

Sam
Samuel J.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Joe - 08-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Fidelis Sam - 08-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 08-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Doc - 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Brass work for Gladius in process. - by Charl - 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pompeii Gladius and Scabbard - Work in Progress sulla felix 71 12,587 03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Robert