Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a book on the imperial roman navy.
Any suggestions welcomed. Just a little research for an ongoing novel is all.<br>
<br>
Simon <p></p><i></i>
Ask away Simon, I've got pretty much all literature on that subject in the shelves at home. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Um, yes, he does! Seen it for myself.<br>
<br>
Jasper, why don't you list a few good ones that are obtainable, to start out?<br>
<br>
Jenny<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Does this mean Macro and Cato are going on a long sea voyage? <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Woo Hoo! I can't wait for the next installment!! Scarrow- get back to work!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Oh, no problem, but most books differ a lot in the subject matter they handle. If Simon can indicate what kind of info he needs, I can point him to the best books. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Actually I'm interested in this topic as well. Could you recommend any sources that deal with Roman naval activity during the Principate (c. 19-16 BCE) near Hispania? (Books and journal articles welcome - I can access them through the university).<br>
<br>
Thanks!<br>
<br>
Carina <p></p><i></i>
That's a bit too precise with the fragmentary sources for the navy. I can only think of the mention in Orosius (VI.21) and Florus (II.33) that the peoples in NW Spain got no rest in their rear either, because they were attacked from out to sea. Possibly the fleet from Forum Iulii with the marines that later formed Cohors I & II Classica. This is in 26BC though.<br>
Articlewise, see for instance R.Syme, 'The Conquest of North-West Spain', in: <em>Legio VII Gemina</em> (Leon 1970) <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasperoorthuys>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 5/8/04 7:57 am<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New inventory of Roman navy richsc 5 1,981 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Last Post: JeffF
  Books on Roman Navy by Michael Pitassi jho 24 45,971 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Last Post: John W Davison
  New Book on the Byzantine Navy Narukami 2 1,462 02-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Last Post: DanRO