Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books on Roman Navy by Michael Pitassi
Salvete!

Mr. Pitassi appears to have published a number of books on the Roman navy over the last two years:

The Roman Navy: Ships, Men & Warfare 350BC - AD475

The Navies of Rome

Roman Warships

Reviews I have found on the internet appear to be somewhat reserved. Before I spend my whole 2013 book budget on these titles, I would be grateful if somebody who has read them could comment on their quality.

Thank you!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Hi Jens, sorry I can't help you in regards to the three Michael Pitassi books you listed but I have 2 books by Lionel Casson which although he writes about ancient seafarers, he includes the Roman Navy as well as Byzantines,Greeks and Phoenicians. You may already have them but the 2 books I have are
"The Ancient Mariners" by Lionel Casson
"Ships and Seamanship in the Ancient World" by Lionel Casson
The only other book I have about the Roman Navy is "Roman Britain and the Roman Navy by David J.P. Mason. The best of the 2 Casson books to me is "Ships and Seamanship in the Ancient World" it is 592 pages in length and covers warships,merchant ships and sailing ships, crews, markings and names, harbours plus many other aspects of ancient naval history.
Regards
Michael
Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
Yeah like the books about casson too. :-)
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Thank you for the responses. I have the Casson books and also like them.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Hi Jens
Let's say that I don't agree with his interpretation of the Roman navy. :whistle:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I think the book of chester starr good one too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Roman-Imperi..._ep_dpt_10

it is a pretty old one though. (i thought written in the 40's but i could be mistaken)
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
and don't worry about the price, i bought it much much cheaper too :p
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
Jasper, do you have any other good titles ?
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
I'm halfway of Pitassi's "The navies of Rome" and it isn't bad IMHO. But I haven't read anything by Casson, so, I can't make comparison.
Books on the Roman Navy are indeed hard to find. A list of known books would be nice!
Cheers,

Ralph Young
Clinton, UT
It's really very short: there's Starr's book, the two books by Thiel on the Republican fleets (good luck finding those outside a uni library), Christa Steinby's recent book on the early Roman fleets, Mason's on the Classis Britannica and Pitassi's slew of ...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thiel (not cheap)

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Search...leet&sts=t

Abe have a .com address as well as a .co.uk so you never know your luck!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
There is a slightly cheaper copy here:
http://www.en.zvab.com/displayBookDetail...479&ref=bf

and his other book is here:
http://www.booksatpbfa.com/search/result...1035893880
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Pitassi's slew of ...

What's the problem with his interpretation, do you think? (if that wouldn't require too long an answer!)
Nathan Ross
I can keep the answer very short: he attributes very modern properties to the Roman naval forces. This in fact something most modern books about ancient naval warfare are guilty of. The problem is that 'we' (ie anyone in the modern western world and especially those of us from traditionally maritime nations such as the UK, US and NL) are so ingrained with these notions it takes a special effort to consciously turn them off. That and Pitassi's horribly annoying habit of 'semi accurate' annotation where he points to entire books if you're lucky and doesn't use notes at all when it gets interesting.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New inventory of Roman navy richsc 5 1,968 01-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Last Post: JeffF
  Books about the roman and/or ancient navy *naval warfare* DanRO 19 4,444 12-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Mitra
  Need a book on the imperial roman navy. Anonymous 7 1,679 05-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis