Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hadrian\'s Wall - novel
If anyone is looking for a Roman army novel, I highly recommend "Hadrian's Wall," by William Dietrich. It revolves around a cavalry unit on the Wall in the 4th century A.D. Lots of blood, guts, love, intrigue and so forth. The author really did his army research, even conferring with Roman army reenactors in England to make sure he had his facts right. The author creates a facinating and well detailed depiction of Roman Britain. I'm about half way though it, and I'd say it's the best Roman historic fiction I've ever had the pleasure to read.<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
This is off topic andy, but I checked your site and it was down...did you move it? <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Down? Did you go to www.redrampant.com ? I did have the main page as www.redrampant.com/history.thml for a while and that's gone now. In any case my site is up an running now.<br>
<br>
-A <p></p><i></i>
Hi Matt just would like to know, is this book available in Canada in Chapters in Paperback?I havenot had the time to go there lately. Thom/Caius cheers <p></p><i></i>
I imagine it is available in Canada, though I don't know what "Chapters in Paperback" is.<br>
<br>
Here's the author website, mabe it has more details there.<br>
www.williamdietrich.com/<br>
<br>
P.S. I've since finished the book. It's still my favorite Roman era fiction.<br>
<br>
-Andy <p></p><i></i>
Hi Andy,<br>
<br>
Just ordered it from Amazon.com. They said it was not yet released as a paperback.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks! I came here to ask if anyone had an opinion on this book - and you have!<br>
I've started it but I'm only about 50 pages or so in. It's pretty good so far...<br>
<br>
I had a terrible feeling that <span style="color:black;">when the heroine was nearly captured in the forest, the bandit/raider chief was going to be a prototype for the legends of Robin Hood!</span> I really hope he doesn't do that...! <p></p><i></i>
Just received a review copy from Bill Dietrich's publicist, so I officially owe you all my distinguished comments.<br>
<br>
I also invited -- again via his publicist -- to join us here at RAT. Let's see if he does.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I look forward to your comments.<br>
<br>
I've finished the book - I enjoyed it and my fears about one of the barbarian characters weren't realised. (I should have said to highlight the apparent blank space in my previous post to read my comment. I typed in the background colour as an anti-spoiler device.) Having just also read <em>The Last Legion</em> by V.M.Manfredi [spoiler; highlight to read], <span style="color:black;">where the last boy emperor of Rome grows up to be Uther Pendragon</span>, I was wary of similar plot twists...<br>
<br>
I've read Dietrich before and this was certainly a change for him! <p></p><i></i>
I just finished the book and I must say I liked it, but not very much. For a Late Roman scenario it could have been set in the 2nd or the 3rd century (instead of 367 AD), and indeed maybe Dietrich should have done so. Unlike some scenarios which were clearly intended for the Principate, this one can with some effort be placed in the late 4th century.<br>
<br>
I had some trouble with the Britons. they are constantly referred to as Celts, and despite allusions to past pagan practises and a single Christian, they reminded me more of the Celts from Julius Caesar than the Gaelic/Pictish tribes which we know occupied the area north of Hadrian's Wall. I very much doubt there were any druids around then anymore, and crannogs have (afaik) not been found in the Scottish lowlands either. Dietrich's 'Celts' are a bit too happy/naturalistic/idealistic for my taste, against the bitter/bad Romans. it is almost as if he pictures a modern industrial landscape (Roman Empire) vs. unspoilt green pastures and forest (Celts). Which is of course nonsense, the pre-Roman Celts knew how to farm the land and did so on a big scale.<br>
<br>
The story leads up to what Ammianus Marcellinus coined as the 'Big Conspiracy', a concerted attack on Britain by Irish (Scotti), Atacotti, Picts, northern Britons and Anglo-Saxons. This fails sadly in the book. The dealings of one grumbling Roman commander I can accept as playing a part, but what leads to the big attack (the escaping of one hostage) is completely left in the air. When the hostage attempts to warn the Romans of the impending attack, Dietrich tells us that the Anglo-saxons from across the sea join in at once! How? Warned by phone?<br>
<br>
All in all a nice read, but a little more study of the times, a little more details in politics, arms & armour, geography, etc., would have made this book a really good one.<br>
<br>
6.5 out of ten.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Future Learn - Hadrian\'s Wall tigger 3 2,216 05-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  Everyday Life of a Soldier on Hadrian\'s Wall Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 0 1,322 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
  Podcast on Hadrian\'s Wall sculpture mcbishop 0 979 09-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Last Post: mcbishop