Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Question
In line, I keep my big shield as close and steady as possible,
and take out the spears as fast as possible.
All long weapons need space to work, that's why I prefer a short one hand spear or short sword in combination with the big shield.
If the second line has long weapons let them slowly take out the ones at the other side.
At least this is how we do this nowadays
The picture is from Moesgard (DK) 2010 with 400 on the field.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:The picture is from Moesgard (DK) 2010 with 400 on the field.
The kneeling guy on the right is extremely vulnerable. A spearman or the guy with the sword on the left could knock him over just like that.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well we broke his long battle axe and did not see him anymore.
He did a fast retreat to the rear. :grin:
We held our ground and killed (broke) most of the opponents spears.
We were only taken out at the very last minutes when the opponent was reinforcerd which put the scales in the opposite direction of 5 of them against 1 of us.
Looking forward to the next battles in about 2 weeks. :twisted:

When I go in skirmish mode, I carry no metallic armour at all, no shoes, a small shield (40 to 60 cm wide/diameter) with a centre grip, 2 short light spears, a short sword(45cm long blade) or big knife and sometimes a one handed axe.
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote: Well we broke his long battle axe and did not see him anymore.
Big Grin

Quote:When I go in skirmish mode, I carry no metallic armour at all, no shoes, a small shield (40 to 60 cm wide/diameter) with a centre grip, 2 short light spears, a short sword(45cm long blade) or big knife and sometimes a one handed axe.
That doesn't surprise me. Even when groups have trained a lot, I continue to see idividual fighting, one-on-one even in line. I see no real shield-wall here, no one is attempting to cover his buddy to his left. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
If this were a real battle, you would want as much protection on your body, plus a large shield. You would cover your mate and another would cover you, making an immobile force with lots of protection. But in modern re-enactment fighting, a) we do not want to kill our opponents Big Grin and b) we want to have fun.
Which, on the whole, results in a different way of fighting than our ancestors did.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:That doesn't surprise me. Even when groups have trained a lot, I continue to see idividual fighting, one-on-one even in line. I see no real shield-wall here, no one is attempting to cover his buddy to his left. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
If this were a real battle, you would want as much protection on your body, plus a large shield. You would cover your mate and another would cover you, making an immobile force with lots of protection. But in modern re-enactment fighting, a) we do not want to kill our opponents Big Grin and b) we want to have fun.
Which, on the whole, results in a different way of fighting than our ancestors did.

In this picture you did not see a shield-wall, correct because we had other orders.
Normally we stand at least 3 deep and bigshields front and locked with everyone in line with a spear.

In skirmish mode I have a different role, there I have to be light and fast.

A modern re-enactment battle can come close to the real thing in certain parts of the world where the body is all target area. :wink:
Which I personally prefer,but that's another topic.

What I tried to describe is the different size of shield used for a different task/role on the field, and not the difference between an actual battle with a lot of casualties and the sometimes over regulated modern sport fighting.

Our battle cry on the field is: No Headshots No Fun :twisted:
Regards

Garrelt
Taberna Germanica
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:And die horribly shortly afterwards when his friend to his right stabs you with a spear. ;-)

Wouldn't he be a bit busy with your friend to your left? ;-)
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scutum question for reenactors LegioIIavg 6 2,455 04-18-2008, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Magnus