Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????)
Quote:Dr . Russell seems to advocate this idea about the Ninth in his publications. I did not read his 'Bloodline' book, but the Wikipedia article about the Ninth has a reference to this book as proof of the 'growing academic support for the scenario that the ninth was destroyed in Britain after all'. So far, I think this 'growing academic support' is limited to dr. Russell.

He certainly seems to be a part of the 'what have the Romans ever done for us' school of thinking and I think Reg was put in his place over that one in Life of Brian ;-) There is no actual evidence for this line of thinking about the Ninth, and a small amount against it (which has been patiently examined by various scholars, including Lawrence Keppie); all that can be said is that they are not on the list of legions on the Colonnetta Maffei which dates to about AD 165 in its first form.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by mcbishop - 03-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Re: Article on the L. IX Hispana (Factual????) - by Steve Eckersley - 03-25-2011, 03:06 AM