Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of slingers in the Late Roman Army
My first post here, so apologies if this has already been covered. I gave up digging after the umpteenth prolific entry :grin: .

I'm in the process of painting up an Eastern Late Roman army in 10mm, for the 4th-5th century. I have a batch of lovely slingers by Pendraken (Clibanarium sculpts) and would like to use them, assuming I can find reference to such!

Notitia Dignitatum makes mention of Funditores, but not what they were (in point of fact their very mention might make them an infantry unit rather than skirmishers, even if Funditores is the term for the skirmishers). I should not assume but I imagine that units of light infantry, possibly locally raised, were probably not worthy of formal recording.

Any insight or sighting of these elusive beasties would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JP
Quote:My first post here, so apologies if this has already been covered. I gave up digging after the umpteenth prolific entry :grin: .

I'm in the process of painting up an Eastern Late Roman army in 10mm, for the 4th-5th century. I have a batch of lovely slingers by Pendraken (Clibanarium sculpts) and would like to use them, assuming I can find reference to such!

Notitia Dignitatum makes mention of Funditores, but not what they were (in point of fact their very mention might make them an infantry unit rather than skirmishers, even if Funditores is the term for the skirmishers). I should not assume but I imagine that units of light infantry, possibly locally raised, were probably not worthy of formal recording.

Any insight or sighting of these elusive beasties would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

I think the most quoted reference to slingers in the Late Roman army is in Vegetius. Its probably the case that the slingers and other skirmishers were actually legionarii detailed in the skirmishing role and that there probably were no independent slingshot units.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Late Roman Army during the 5th century Robert Vermaat 89 17,680 01-11-2024, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Magister_Officiorum13241
  Late Roman Army Ranks - Numeri/Limitanei jmsilvacross 14 1,926 11-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Steven James
  Late Roman Army - seniores and iuniores Robert Vermaat 46 21,039 10-15-2020, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Steven James