Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early 1st cen. AD Germanic double edged sword
Ghandi,
Is the figure of 69cm for the overall length of the weapon or the blade exclusive of the handle?
@ John

It is the overall length of the sword, from tip to very end of the handle. The original find is still snail like folded, so the length, mentioned in literature may not be really precisely measured.

cheers

Robert
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
Hi guys, in his forth post in this thread, Andreas shared a drawing showing two single edged swords and one double edged sword with scabbards, and belts. I'm wondering if anyone here knows if the hilt of the double edged sword is based on any archaeological or iconographic evidence, or is it based on speculation? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
That's a reconstruction of the Nienbüttel sword and scabbard. All the metal elements survived (including the pommel cap and curved lower guard plate) but the organic elements are speculation I think.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Thanks Medicus, very helpful as always. Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure that I've seen someone make a re-creation of this same sword over on myArmoury, only with a different pommel shape.
Since the Neinbuttel sword has lots of La Tene influence, it seems reasonable to assume that the handle would be similar to other La Tene swords. At the end of the Romano-Germanic war, the Germanics were using roman-influenced spathas for their cavalry. I have recently finished a replica of the Hamburg-Marmstorf Spatha. For this type of sword, we actually have finds of wooden handles. They are very similar to the Roman style of handle, but the pommel is oval instead of round, to allow the wrist to slide by easier during cutting attacks. The scabbards for these Spathas are not metal like the La Tene swords, but are made of wood, with either leather or linnen covering. The metal parts are also rather roman in nature. The main differance between the Germanic 'La Tene swords' and the Celtic 'La Tene swords', is the chape. The chapes on the Celtic swords are complex, and are generally curved on the end. The Germanic ones are flat, like on the Neinbuttel sword.
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
Greetings to all!!!

I am interested in that Germanic double edge sword with metal scabbard. Does anyone know the lenght and width of that sword?

Thank you very much.
Massimiliano Salviati

[url:2wmrb1i0]http://www.sippeulfson.it[/url]
There have been several finds of such swords, and they varry in length from about 70 to 80 cm. The Neinbuttel sword is 73 cm long.
Dan Dalby

Thank you very much Dan.
Massimiliano Salviati

[url:2wmrb1i0]http://www.sippeulfson.it[/url]
hello

germanic single edged swords always are drawn from the right?

i saw some pics in a book of which i scanned one:

[attachment=4522]scannen0013.jpg[/attachment]

i wonder if this doesn't give troubles when drawing.

tnx!

Rgds

yves

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
hello

[attachment=4523]scannen0013_2012-07-02.jpg[/attachment]

tnx!

Rgds

yves

Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
hello

[attachment=4524]scannen0013_2012-07-02-2.jpg[/attachment]

tnx!

Rgds

yves

Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
hello

[attachment=4525]scannen0013_2012-07-02-3.jpg[/attachment]

tnx!

Rgds

yves

Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Reburrus
vzw Legia
Flanders
Single edged swords are assumed to have been carried on the right side, because both the Celts and the Romans carried their swords on that side during that time. However, in the migration period, the Germanics carried their swords on their left side. The single edged sword can be drawn from either side just as easily if you have a well made scabbard that's not to tight. Personally, I think it was up to how structured the warband was (if it's highly structured, the warriors would be required to carry their swords on thier right or left sides for sake of continueity in the formation), or if it was not very structured, it was up to the personal preference of the warrior, some of my group members prefer the left, while some prefer the right. Swords were often carried on the right side to make it easier to get onto a horse, but since single edged swords are infantry weapons, we have no real way of knowing which side they were carried on.
Dan Dalby

I agree with Harjaz.
Well from use and making them I think it comes down to the owner and length of the sword really.
I don't think every one unsheathed from the right.but have its up to each to find what works best.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Documentary on Early Runes and Germanic Languages Harjaz 6 1,969 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Redwald
  Early Alanic Sword Reproduction Alanus 6 3,763 03-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Early Germanic Combat Techniques Anonymous 2 1,370 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Harjaz