Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
Quote:Great post Kai.

I don't think that what was being advocated here. Normal cavalry indeed has battlefield speed as its one big advantage, and will not likely give that up. What was being said here (at least by me) was that armoured cavalry (especially with horse armour) was unlikely to speed at or along infantry, but fight at low speed or perhaps at times stationary, using the superior range of the contus and the height as an advantage, while being protected against enemy weapons. That's a very different thing from unarmoured cavalry, which has to move in and out of range at a quick pace, and is best used as scouting troops, horse archers, guard flanks and protection of light troops, with the occasional use as chargers into weak spots, and of course harying a fleeing enemy. But that's all different from the heavies.

Heavy Cavalry can still engage at a gallop, they just have to build-up speed and only go to the gallop at the final fifty yards. I agree that they wouldn't be gallivanting around the field like a bunch of horse archers. That's not their job and their gear would tire them out faster and leave them too exhausted to carry out their intended purpose (To slug it out hand-to-hand)
Ben.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Aulus Perrinius - 02-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,645 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,778 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 36,900 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus