Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
I wonder how difficult it is for a fully trained heavy cavalryman using the Contos to withstand the impact of his weapon against an enemy e.g. an infantryman covering himself with his shield. The saddles I see depicted for such cavalry are not the four pommeled type of the early empire but do have high curved front and rear saddle parts that appear to give a fairly secure seat. Using the Contos in its two handed manner, would the cavalryman ride hard against his target imparting the momentum and power of his horse's charge to give his weapon greater impact or did he slow his horse down prior to impact and stab at the enemy using only the power of his arms to thrust at the enemy? The rider, if using the Contos with both hands on one side of his horse, appears to be in a slightly uncomfortable twisted position. Wouldn't this position be prone to losing balance if the weapon was to suddenly impact?

From the previous discussions and my own readings of cavalry warfare it would appear that the main impact of such a cavalry charge would be on the enemy morale, the imposing sight and sound of a massed cavalry charge of heavy horsemen would likely make many or all enemy break ranks prior to impact giving the horsemen the ideal targets of the fleeing enemy backs.

Interesting discussion.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Jeff Figuerres - 01-29-2011, 08:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,645 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,778 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 36,902 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus