Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
Just some thoughts from the perspective of Renaissance martial arts and modern physics.

Reach isn't the only advantage a long kontos has over a one-handed spear. A two-handed lance grip adds stability, making it harder to knock the point aside and stronger to parry with. If a weapon is a lever with its fulcrum where the forward hand grips it, the rear hand (or the armpit, for couched technique) lets you apply force to resist deflection of the point. And unless the lance gets stuck in something of breaks, it could be retained for use in close combat (although it would probably be less effective in that situation than a sword). If every lance in the first rank killed a man on the first charge, battles would have been a lot shorter and bloodier.

On the other hand, ordinary Roman cavalry had an arsenal of throwing weapons, which they could have used as they entered combat or in a swirling melee. A thrown spear has longer range than a spear held in the hand!

I'd guess that a better armoured cavalryman wielding a long spear two-handed had strengths and weaknesses relative to a worse armoured cavalryman with a shield and a spear wielded one-handed. Defining exactly what those were at this distance is tricky.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Sean Manning - 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,645 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,779 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 36,904 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus