Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques
First, I've to admit that I don't have that much experience in horseriding, yet, but I've almost all experience I've is with Roman horned saddle, without stirrups. You can ride perfectly without them, and I don't see why they should be 'crucial'. In my opinion Junkelmann adds to much weight to his 'see, I can ride without stirrups, isn't that nice' debate.

About the kontos, this weapon has to be carried in two hands indeed, as can be seen on some epigraphic evidence. Also, you've to take into account this is a weapon for a charching combat, and force have to be added to it, to be effective. It's about the same as with the earlier phalanx I would say. As it is a long weapon it can almost only be used frontal, so you're most probably not charging alone. (and of course when charging in a big group it's easier to let your horse go right to the front).

Nevertheless it's perfectly possible to control your horse by your legs, weight distribution and even voice. If both rider and horse are trained well and know each other, they will be able to do a lot more as some might expect. But again, riding in a charging formation of multiple horses in a line makes it all easier.

As for the hasta, I would say that is a single handed weapon and is used on the right hand side of the horse, as can be seen on this stele:
http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/c...rabmal.jpg
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Heavy Cavalry Fighting Techniques - by Jvrjenivs - 01-25-2011, 12:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallienus mobile heavy cavalry - Mid 3rd century Garys152 3 2,645 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,771 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  heavy cavalry engaging heavy cavalry Calvo 220 36,887 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Alanus