Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii
I'm still toying with the idea that Catafract refers to a heavily armoured rider, whilst Clibanarii referred to a heavily armoured hourse. I have found a number of references in various texts to infantry wearing 'Catafracts' (One such reference being in Vegetius), which relates to body armour, I have seen no such reference to infantry wearing 'Clibanarius' or some other similar term, but I have seen quotes in ancient tests referring to horses specifically referred to as 'Clibanarios', a reference if memory serves is within the pages of the 'De Rebus Bellicis' when discussing the infamous Scythed Chariots.

In this case Catafractarii would refer to heavily armoured riders on unarmoured horses, whilst Clibanarii refers to both rider and hourse being heavily armoured.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii - by ValentinianVictrix - 03-04-2013, 08:18 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine armour, arms and equipment Gladius Hispaniensis 16 6,978 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii tombstones Julian Apostata 7 4,651 07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Julian Apostata
  Clibanarii equipment and tacitcs? Steakslim 11 2,747 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Steakslim