Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Byzantine armour, arms and equipment
Salvete omnes

I am currently reading about Belisarius' campaigns and since I am a newcomer to Byzantine history I would like to know more about the armour and arms used by the Byzantine army of that period. I would really like it if someone could post some images. Of course information on Herulian, Hun, and other allied contingents would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Hi,here are two reconstruction drawings of the probable Heruli king from the Blučina-Cézava in Czech republic.First pic is from Pavel dvorský the second from Libor Balák.From what I know colors of his clothes are only hypothetical.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very good drawings, Pavel.

Thanks for sharing!
I'm glad you enjoyed it Smile
Very nice, especially the second one.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Pavel,

I had not seen those images before. They are very nice. Thanks for sharing.

GH,

The Eastern Roman Empire under Justinian I is a woefully underrepresented period in illustration and reenactment. It is an era I also have recently become fascinated with. A few must have items are Ancient Warfare magazine Vol. IV Issue 3 "Justinian's fireman: Belisarius and the Byzantine empire" and Vol V Issue 3 "The last great enemy:Rome and the Sassanid Empire". Both include excellent illustrations from Johnny Shumate and Igor Dzis. Two illustrators who fortunately are covering this period.

[Image: 83851633qp5.png]

[Image: Velizarius%2B1g.jpg]
"This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle."
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Thanks Matthew. Can you recommend any great literature covering that period? I just read John Julius Norwich's "Byzantium - The Early Centuries" and found it pretty informative.
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Hi Matthew,
Was this image of a very nice member of the Secunda Britannica published in Ancient Warfare?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Thanks Matthew. Can you recommend any great literature covering that period? I just read John Julius Norwich's "Byzantium - The Early Centuries" and found it pretty informative.
A good read is Treadgold, Warren (1995): Byzantium and Its Army, 284-1081 (Stanford).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Thanks Matthew. Can you recommend any great literature covering that period? I just read John Julius Norwich's "Byzantium - The Early Centuries" and found it pretty informative.
As far as I know there are not many books dealing with the Roman/Byzantine army and warfare under Justinian. Rather the information are scattered in various articles and chapters of books. So apart from the book mentioned above by Robert you may probably be interested especially in the following literature:

Elton, H.: Army and Battle in the Age of Justinian, in: Erdkamp, P. (ed.), A Companion to the Roman Army, Oxford, 2007, s. 532-550.

Hughes, I.: Belisarius. The Last Roman General, Barnsley, 2009.

Jones, A. H. M.: The Later Roman Empire, 284-602 AD (2 vols.), Oxford, 1964. (the part about late Roman army)

Kolias, T. G.: Byzantinische Waffen, Wien, 1988.

Lee, A. D.: The Empire at War, in: Maas, M. (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to the Age of Justinian, Cambridge, 2006, s. 113-134.

Müller, A.: Das Heer Justinians nach Procop und Agathias, Philologus 71, 1912, s. 101-138.

Rance, P.: Narses and the Battle of Taginae (Busta Gallorum) 552: Procopius and Sixth-Century Warfare, Historia 54, 2005, s. 424-472.

Teall, J.: The Barbarians in Justinian's Armies, Speculum 40, 1965, s. 294-322.

Whitby, M.: Recruitment in Roman Armies from Justinian to Heraclius (ca. 565-615), in: Cameron, A. (ed.), The Byzantine and Early Islamic Near East 3: States, Resources and Armies, Princeton, 1995, s. 61-124.

Greetings,
Alexandr
Thanks Alexandr.

Jones, Elton, Hughes, all very good. Kolias you have to watch out with - what he writes about plumbatae is absolute bull.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Kolias you have to watch out with - what he writes about plumbatae is absolute bull.
Yes, I agree. I also noticed the strange theories about plumbatae. On the other hand I found many other parts quite interesting and detailed (IIRC especially with regard to written sources, archaeological evidence is not discussed much, if my memory serves). As far as I know it is one of the very few really detailed, comprehensive studies of late Roman/Byzantine equipment (though I must admit, that may be I missed some recent research - it's been a while since I looked into this subject)

I would also like to point out that Rance and Whitby mentioned above are also very good. Both articles with much broader coverage than what the titles would suggest.

There is one more book that may be of interest: Kaegi, W.: Byzantine Military Unrest, 471-843, Amsterdam, 1981. But I have not read this one, so I don't know how good it is.

Alexandr
Quote:Hi Matthew,
Was this image of a very nice member of the Secunda Britannica published in Ancient Warfare?

Robert,
I'm honestly not sure if that particular picture ever appeared in Ancient Warfare. I was trying to find an illustration by Johnny Shumate as an example and that one seemed to fit. I hope it wasn't improper to post it here.
"This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle."
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Not sure if you have seen this - it was an academic thesis, and very detailed:

http://acta.uta.fi/english/teos.php?id=9878

Regards,
Nice images Matthew, I used that battle scene as my screen saver, for a while..love that image, i found a little inspiration from it!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Papers on Arms and Armour Steven James 4 2,084 09-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Creon01
  Early byzantine army effectiveness and equipment Vexillation 1 1,592 04-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Last Post: Urselius
  Evolution of the Byzantine equipment/Kit damianlz 3 2,502 04-16-2015, 01:59 PM
Last Post: M. Val. Naso