Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii
Quote:Section, 38, Book 16. Here the part 'cavalry in coat of mail' is now rendered 'cataphracti' in Latin.
The Latin actually reads 'cataphracti equites' which, as you know, I equate with clibanarii. We have Ammianus' account of Constantius' parade in Rome, in which he refers to 'cataphracti equites (quos clibanarios dictitant)' (Amm. 16.10.8 ). So the 'cavalry in coat of mail' are actually clibanarii here as earlier. Nevertheless, Julian did have cataphractarii in his army as well, as their commander is listed as one of those who died in the battle.

Quote:I believe Renatus has looked at whether the collapsing weight issue is the horse or rider collapsing? In other words, is the rider collapsing under the weight of his armour or has the horse collapsed under the weight of its armour? But I might be confusing this thread with the similar one over at the IB forums of Total War?
Yes, it was in the other forum. It depends on the reading of the Latin. The version in editions up to 1874 can be translated as referring to the man being overcome by the weight of his armour and the horse falling, whereas the reading in more modern editions translates as the horse collapsing under the (combined?) weight of armour and the man falling.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)

Messages In This Thread
The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii - by Renatus - 02-26-2013, 03:57 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine armour, arms and equipment Gladius Hispaniensis 16 6,981 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii tombstones Julian Apostata 7 4,651 07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Julian Apostata
  Clibanarii equipment and tacitcs? Steakslim 11 2,747 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Steakslim