Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii
Well, Adrian, I do think finding out "official" terms has some value. We do not call every Roman soldier legionary because they have citizenship, e.g.
And actually I think the idea of Michael could be true, since Clibanarius seems to be the only term coming up in legal texts and inscriptions – of course, my knowledge in these fields is far too limited to make a statement I would defend, and the argument in historical texts and panegyrics ...you know.

Operating with terms, "official" or not, has limits as well. While I agree to your definition of a Clibanarius in the fourth century I would have to turn it down for the sixth, when there is hardly evidence for Roman horse armour although Clibanarii units were around (and despite a wealth of sources including incredibly detailed narratives). Developments of soldiers and their equipment over time are natural even if the term may remain the same.

Sometimes terms are simply odd, remember the Cuirassiers. How many troopers called Cuirassiers by their contemporaries have ever worn leather armour?

Regards
Kai
------------
[Image: regnumhesperium.png]

Messages In This Thread
Re: The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii - by Kai - 04-27-2011, 05:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine armour, arms and equipment Gladius Hispaniensis 16 6,981 06-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman cataphractarii and clibanarii tombstones Julian Apostata 7 4,651 07-17-2011, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Julian Apostata
  Clibanarii equipment and tacitcs? Steakslim 11 2,747 12-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Steakslim