Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the Field of Battle
I live near Richmond, Virginia. Central Virginia is pockmarked with sites of the American Civil War or War of Independence. Not exactly ancient but a lot of people died here.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
If that's not a perfect place to build a fortified town, I'd like to know what one would look like. Prior to explosive artillery and aircraft, that looks pretty fully defensible except to long sieges.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The Newtown battlefield that Justin mentioned in his post above is only a few miles from my house. A few years ago it was the 225th anniversary of the battle. I attended the reenactment. I was lucky enough to be a few paces from a British Major of Foot. He explained to the crowd, what transpired on the day of that battle, and what was happening out of our sight, (it is, of course, impossible to see everything from one spot), and what we were about to see. I found out that for once the rebels had artillery and the redcoats didn't! While walking towards my viewing point an "Iroquois" stepped out of the woods. I jumped! All that warpaint certainly has a psychological effect! Big Grin
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.