Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin Translation Help
I am planning on making a sign that reads "Hadrian's Gate". I would like to know how to properly inscribe this in proper Roman script.

Thanks!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
What date would the sign be from? Will it be nicely done or scrawled? Answer those questions and someone who knows more about Roman scripts can probably tell you what you need. The Latin would be Porta Hadriani before any abbreviations.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
I had to build a gate, to prevent my two year old from escaping :wink: Since his name is Hadrian, I would like to make a sign to hang on "his" gate.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Porta Hadriani is correct Latin, but this is the modern script. If you want to inscribe it the old way you should take: "PORTA HADRIANI". Times new roman is a nice type.
(aka Niels)
Well, there's always "Non Exite"
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, there's always "Non Exite"

Exite is a form of the imperativus pluralis; you must only use this if your "command" refers to more than one person. E.g. the soldiers of a centuria. If the order refers to one person, you must use the imperativus singularis: exi. "My 2 year old" is one person, so you must use the imperativus singularis in this case. Non is correct I think, so we will get: non exi. If you want to have a more friendly latin command, you could also use "Ne exeas". It`s the coniunctivus and is used for incentives. Non exi is the strongest here.
(aka Niels)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Latin Translation arklore70 26 6,779 05-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Last Post: Draconis
  Translation into Latin question! Martin Wallgren 9 3,109 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Latinitas
  Small Latin Translation Request Anonymous 4 1,257 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Anonymous