Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about several pieces of clothing
Quote:As far as I know wearing a torc or other ring around the neck was a typically Celtic thing; in Germanic culture it was sometimes even regarded as a symbol of slavery,
At least by the 4th c. AD, neck rings had become a sign of valour in the Late Roman army. They were not exactly like torcs btw, plus I'm not sure when this practise (re-)emerged in the army.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:As far as I know wearing a torc or other ring around the neck was a typically Celtic thing; in Germanic culture it was sometimes even regarded as a symbol of slavery, as mentioned in Tacitus' Germania:

"Anyone knows whether the torc had a specific meaning or symbolism in Celtic culture?

We're back to the knotty problem of the term "Celtic" I think...(Please excuse the pun Big Grin )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Back to the subject of caligae: is there anyone on this forum who has experience with the Daniyal Steelcrafts DSC036/11 Castleford/Valkenburg pattern caligae?

The problem with these things is that they have to fit or otherwise they're useless, so before I order anything online and have it shipped in from abroad I'd like to be certain that I'm ordering the right size, to spare me the fuss of having to send them back again to have them exchanged for bigger or smaller versions in case they don't fit.
Frank
Vescere bracis meis!
Quote:Back to the subject of caligae: is there anyone on this forum who has experience with the Daniyal Steelcrafts DSC036/11 Castleford/Valkenburg pattern caligae?

The problem with these things is that they have to fit or otherwise they're useless, so before I order anything online and have it shipped in from abroad I'd like to be certain that I'm ordering the right size, to spare me the fuss of having to send them back again to have them exchanged for bigger or smaller versions in case they don't fit.

I have a pair of them and they are absolutely fine. You will not get any better without going for custom made ones. About the measurements (and getting the right size), why not draw you feet on a sheet of paper, scan it in (with measurements) and send it to the shop you're want to get them from and let them check for the right size.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:About the measurements (and getting the right size), why not draw you feet on a sheet of paper, scan it in (with measurements) and send it to the shop you're want to get them from and let them check for the right size.
Hey, that's a good idea yes! Thanks!
Frank
Vescere bracis meis!
Two left hands Frank? It's not too difficult making them yourself and much more satisfying at that Smile
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Two left hands indeed! I've attempted to make a wooden spoon once and the result looked more like a deformed... something! If it were a dog the vet would have put it to sleep just to end its misery. :wink:
Frank
Vescere bracis meis!
most caligae will fit just by ajusting the supportflaps to the thong just try and they fit.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Good to know!
Frank
Vescere bracis meis!
Unless they are too wide. Then it's tough to keep the foot still in the shoe. I solved this partially by putting some shearling sheep INside my socks. Not perfect, but better.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
most is still trial and error to get it right, i had for my groma built 3 test versions as fot the dioptra to( for who does nt know they are surveying instruments, but with clothing sometimes is the same, i made a subarmalis but it still is 100% good.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
While on the subject of footwear, has anyone had experience with the DSC enclosed boots http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... cts_id=400
I am getting a pair and I was wondering how accurate they are.
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)
I have no direct experience with those boots, but the heel looks narrower than most caligae, so there's a better chance of a good fit. Length? Well, that's always a problem that you can't know until you put them on. For example. In US sizes, I wear a 10, 10 1/2, or an 11 depending on the manufacturer of the shoe/boot. I can never know until I actually try them on.

[off topic] Some years back, I used to make AmerIndian moccasins, and tried to mail order them from people's drawings of their feet. Problem is, I never knew exactly how they'd drawn the feet, and could never be sure they'd fit. Often they didn't, and I ended up remaking enough pairs that I simply quit that product line. I had too many pairs that I couldn't do much with. [/off topic]

Caveat Emptor remains a good motto. Armamentarium, for the record, has a great customer service reputation, and I don't think you'd have a problem with them if something didn't fit. Double-plus good vote from me, if that matters.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:While on the subject of footwear, has anyone had experience with the DSC enclosed boots http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... cts_id=400
I am getting a pair and I was wondering how accurate they are.

I have a pair of them and they are along my favourite boots. They are well made and good to use. They are based on 2nd century examples from Vindolanda, a cavalry fortress back of the Hadrians wall. So, also I would say them to be 'authentic'.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ok thanks
Conor Boyle

Legio XX VV (Legion ireland)