Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon
Quote:Romans didnt adopted such types of curved swords, because their already old and prouved fighting style worked well, they was use to it, and they didnt had any enemy against who to use them. This swords was good especialy against opponents protected by large shields and fighting in close ranks, and Romans doesnt had anyone like that at that point. However, they adapted a Falx like blade to a siege machine, used for penetrate betwen 2 stone blocks, to dislodge them. I remember i saw one depicted, on Trajan Column i think, but i dont remember how was called, on what part of Column was. Maybe someone know more about (possible to be have a name as "Falces ....")

There is a depiction of siege machines on Trajan's column that appear to have a curved falx type blade attached to the end of one axle. The idea that they were used to dislodge stones from a wall is from J.H.Pollen’s 1874 theory about these weapons. He, like many others, assumes that these machines are Roman in origin and use. Conrad Cichorius seems to have shared my view that they were actually Dacian weapons being used aganst the besigers. My views can be found on this forum <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25535&p=249790&hilit=dacian+reaper#p228028">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25535&p=249790&hilit=dacian+reaper#p228028<!-- l if anyone is interested. I have built a model of the the weapon and done limited testing on it's possible function and effects. It is seen below photo-shopped into the attached image.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon - by P. Clodius Secundus - 10-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,142 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers Gaius Julius Caesar 54 8,807 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,790 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius