Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Falx, by R. Wimmers
Robert has been making a Falx for me, suitable for the demonstration of it's shield hacking and helmet piercing abilities, much feared by the vaunted legions of Rome.

I think I will limit it to straw mats and pigs for now.
A scutum frame to replicate one being held in a defensive posture will take a while to fabricate,
and then transport.
[attachment=7232]100_3479-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7233]100_3481.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Of course, volunteers to hold the scutum for me will be most appreciated.
It will save me carting a frame around wit h me, and save fuel on the homeward journeys Wink
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I thought the falx was feared as much for its chopping ability against unarmoured limbs as anything else? Should take some bamboo as well...
As I said, will be taking some mats. And the odd pig....if I can get the numbers to make the barbeque worth while!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
beautiful piece
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
nice one! how long is it?
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Looking forward at seeing a finished Falx from R. WImmers.
The 1 century AD Germanic single edged sword which he made was great so this Falx would certainly be great as well.
Jasper Cobelens
A useful test would involve comparing the results against a selection of other contemporary blades. A falx chopping through a pig carcass isn't so impressive if a two-handed swing with a gladius can do the same thing.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Except you are less likely to use a gladius 2 handed Howard.
The technique of fighting employed involved a scutum and gladius!
I think it will be impressive enough.
However, I do have a few sharp swords for cutting purposes....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The handle is about 50cm, I will post photos later when I have time.
I'm sure it will be great when completed.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
How about using ballistic gelatin? Cleaner than using a carcass and found this homemade recipe, though haven't tried it: [url=http://www.myscienceproject.org/gelatin.html][/url]. All one would need is an upper body mold, possibly a plastic skeleton and maybe some fluid filled organs and then dressing up the product in hamata or segmentata.
aka T*O*N*G*A*R
Well, I have little time to make one of these.
A pig can be cooked afterwards. 8-)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
[attachment=7262]100_3554-2.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=7261]100_3555-1.jpg[/attachment]

While the handle may have been longer, it is kept to this length for shipping purposes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I look forward to your tests, I'd also like to see what a spatha, a gladius, and that one other type of germanic sword robert made would do to a pig as well.
Hi Guys,

Well, the handle is the length based on the reliefs, being about as long as the blade. At an overall length of 100 cm, it has a good reach. With the right hand positioned about 20 cm below the blade and the left holding the base, a fulcrum motion in hitting is possible, lending great strength to the hit. If a gladius was fitted with a 50 cm handle, the same would apply.

The falx is not really a weapon to "kill equipment" like splitting a shield, it is intended to inflict grevious bodily harm. The curved point allows for hitting over a shield into the lower arms or face of those holding it. The curve may also be used to pull the shield away. Because of it's length combined with the mass, it is a matter of battlefield physics to see how much damage it would inflict. I do not think it would actually split a helmet, but the dent incured would cave in the skull beneath. Bit hard on your cutting edge, though. Also, drawing a curved blade back into the cut will cut arm- and legmuscles and tendons to the bone. You are not going anywhere in a hurry after such a slash.

Half a pig does represent the best immitation of hitting an unarmored human, as it has skin, flesh and bone, allowing for good evaluation of cutting power
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dacian Falx test diegis 8 6,117 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  The "Myth" of the "Dacian Falx" as a super weapon Paullus Scipio 118 42,547 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM
Last Post: sitalkes
  Dacian Falx JeffF 56 17,743 11-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius