Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Batavi among us......Daniyal and Jurjen do it again!
Will it be silvered or tinned? In the photo it looks rather dark.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:Will it be silvered or tinned? In the photo it looks rather dark.

In the photograph it is just rusting metal, but delivered it will be tinned. Check this photograph of my prototype next to the original.
[Image: kp_helm_repro.jpg]

This is due to expenses. As we can't supply silversheet like the original we decided to get it tinned.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Although I have to say I can fight perfectly in my secutor helmet, which is also pretty closed and this one also has a good fit.
Sven-Ole Thorsen seemed to manage okay. :wink:
[attachment=0:1t380p4p]<!-- ia0 Tigris_Sven-OleThorsen.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1t380p4p]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Give us some time please. We're doing our best to get it happen, but doing Cavalry re-enactment is quite something different.
Although I have to say I can fight perfectly in my secutor helmet, which is also pretty closed and this one also has a good fit.

Big Grin

You mistake enthusiam for hassle!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Are these going to be going on general sale??
Scott Goring
Quote:Are these going to be going on general sale??

I don't think so, but you can order one through me. I've send you a PM with pricing.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Perhaps if Jurjen allows, we could do some retail?

It would save complications with import VAT etc.
I think it also depends on Daniyal's time...

LOL

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Using that well made helmet as a basis, i have covered it in order to make a helmet similar to the Xanten/Bonn one.

This is the helmet, not completely finished.

[Image: Imagen011.jpg]

[Image: Imagen008.jpg]

I have add some touch of colour (wool covered hair horse). As the original lacks the frontal band, i have try one with some olive wreath, very used in cavalry helmets.
I have to thanks Daniyal and Jurjen for the magnific work made in that helmet. And Jens Horskotte for some help about the original one.
As I commented earlier, very well done, sir! You now only got me frustrated about the lack of something to show from my hand from the Nijmegen ones. Indeed the Xanten version is a bit easier, so I think I'll make one of that one too, perhaps.

Maybe I'm able to show some more in due course Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Will it have plumes when it's finished?
No plumes. If we follow the cavalryman depicted in funerary reliefs, no plumes were used often.
Well, finally I can show you some progress. We've been working hard to get all decorations right, and still are having several problems with making the Kops Plateau design. However, as a testpiece, I can now show a 'sneak preview' of our version of the Xanten bowl. As the decorations on this helmet are much simpler, it was an easy alternative to try different things, before we're getting back to the Kops Plateau helmet, which will be next, and hopefully completed later this year.

And the sneak preview: We've just completed the basic layer.

[Image: xantenHelmet2.jpg]
ALA I BATAVORUM
In the North it would probably be just fine, but in Egypt (or Texas), yikes: a cranial oven, to be sure! There would have to be some kind of way to keep the heat from hitting the metal. Possibly that's why they put the hair over it?

That's as good a reproduction as anything on the market, and better than many! Great work, and thanks for your patience, Jurjen!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Italic D question for Jurjen or anyone else ANTONIVS MAGNVS 38 6,385 03-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius
  The Batavi and Traditional Japanese Swimming MarcusNorwood 21 3,838 12-27-2012, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Robert
  The Batavi have a shiny, new Draco Semisalis Abruna 4 1,649 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat