Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book on the Jewish Revolts against Rome
Here is a new book that deals with the military aspects of the three Jewish revolts against Rome.
The book was published this past July.

http://www.amazon.com/Jewish-Revolts-Ag ... ir_all_348

[size=150:7sljjc5a]The Jewish Revolts Against Rome, AD 66-137: A Military Analysis
by James J Bloom
[/size]

Product Details
Paperback: 294 pages
Publisher: McFarland (July 1, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0786444797
ISBN-13: 978-0786444793
Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 5.9 x 0.8 inches

In an unusual move, even on Amazon, the author has openly reviewed his own book. However it is more of an explanatory sales pitch than critical review and does include the Table of Contents and List of Appendices.

And so, without further adieu, a few words from the author ...

Of course, one might say that, being the author,I'm biased. But I have tried to look at the book through the eyes of the inquisitive layman, interested in the history of the Roman Empire, the Jewish people, and military history for whom the book was written. I spent ten years researching and writing (and re-writing) this examination of the Jewish Revolts. It was a labor of love. Ever since I became fascinated with the writings of the enigmatic Flavius Josephus, I have struggled to understand the motives and actions of all the actors in this two-century series of campaigns in what I see as one long war. My emphasis is on combat operations and strategies, in keeping with my own interests. However, the book is a handy and comprehensive guide to what was going on in the Near East during the transformation of Temple-based Judaism and the birth pangs of Christianity. I have made an effort to write it in an accessible style, keeping in mind the "story" aspect of history. This episode is certainly a backwater in military history. It is overshadowed by the much smaller scale rebellions in Brittania and Germania occurring roughly in the period of the First Revolt. That revolt has been largely consigned to grammarians interested in Josephus' style (as is so with Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars) and historians of religion. As for the middle (Diaspora)revolt of 115-117 CE, there are very few accounts and these are largely religious in nature. Trajan's contemporary campaign in Iraq and Iran has overshadowed the Jewish uprising as a military event. The Bar Kochba rebellion of 132-135 has likewise been overlooked by military historians. I have read widely in scholarly literature, as my two bibliographies will attest and tried to bring the conclusions of this scholarship to readers who don't have the time or inclination to seek out the scattered journal articles. First and foremost I believe that my book is a good read, uncluttered by academic "on the other hands", but solidly based on wide research. The nine appendices cover a variety of topics that may interest a broad readership, among them the treatment of the First Revolt in fiction, theater and film, and an outline for an "alterate history" of the three revolts as if the propitious aspects of each were merged into one. I see that Amazon.com has back-ordered the book which was in fact printed on June 26. However, the publisher informs me that the good news is that the book has sold so well, that they had to re-print it to handle back orders. So if you have ordered a copy, be assured that many more are rolling off the printing presses as I write and should be available by mid-July. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Here's the contents. As you can see, it's quite comprehensive.

Preface and Introduction 1

I. THE FIRST REVOLT, A.D. 66-74
1. The First Revolt: Causation and Inevitability 16
2. Foundation for the Roman Involvement in Judaean Affairs 23
3. Herod the Great: Judaea Becomes a Roman Client State 35
4. Adding Insult to Injury: Roman Misrule and Escalating Disturbances in Judaea 47
5. Opening of the First Revolt 65
6. Jewish War Preparations, Preliminary Skirmishes 80
7. Josephus Assumes Command in Galilee: His Unstable Tenure and Challenges to His Authority 92
8. Vespasian Versus Josephus 114
9. The Naval/Amphibious War 129
10. Mopping Up in Galilee as Discord in the Jewish Camp Boils Over 135
11. Suspension of the Roman Campaign; Romans Lay Foundation for the Reduction of Jerusalem 148
12. Death Throes: The Final Phases 156
13. Aftermath of the First Revolt 174

II. THE SECOND AND THIRD REVOLTS
14. Interwar State of Affairs, A.D. 73-115 179
15. Kitos (Quietus) War or Tumultu Iudaico (The Tumult of the Jews) 191
16. Bar-Kokhba Revolt 201
17. Subsequent Rebellions and Conclusions 217

APPENDICES
Appendix A. Josephus's Reliability as a Source for the Military History of the First Jewish Revolt 221
Appendix B. Disposition of Roman and Allied Forces, A.D. 66-73 227
Appendix C. Jewish Combat Effectiveness in the First Revolt 230
Appendix D. Factions, Parties and Patron Allegiance in the First Jewish War: John of Gischala Versus Flavius Josephus 233
Appendix E. The Jewish Rebels--Zealots, Bandits, Sicarii, and Others: Organization, Motivation, Unit Strengths 238
Appendix F. Josephus's Presumptive Life Story 241
Appendix G. Estimating Numbers in the First Jewish Revolt 246
Appendix H. Epic Stuff: Some Treatments of the First Revolt in Novels, Theater and Motion Pictures 250
Appendix I. Judaea Invicta--The Revolt That Might Have Been: A Reflection on the Elements for an Alternative Outcome 259

Critical Bibliography 267
Complete Bibliography 273
Index 279

I have yet to read this book so I can not offer any judgment on the book itself or the author's veracity. However... It does look interesting.
:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I must admit that I do not share the author's opinion, that, whereas "the fight in the Teutoberger Wald has received a good deal of attention from military historians", the Jewish Revolt(s) "have been primarily tackled by historians exclusively involved with the religious implications" (p. 1). In my opinion, both have been addressed equally. Certainly, most modern accounts of Roman siege warfare confine themselves to a description of a Jewish War siege (sometimes Jotapata, sometimes Jerusalem, mostly Masada).

So I do not share his pessimism, that "Rome's hard-fought, brutal subjugation of the three (sic) Jewish revolts in the first and second centuries A.D. comprises an unaccountably blank chapter in the literature on early imperial Roman combat operations" (p. 1).

But (as we've found more than once before) one has to drum up interest in a new book somehow. :roll: I note (with some trepidation) the author's proud boast that he has an "ability to extrapolate scenarios from scanty or disjointed data" (p. 3) -- isn't that what historical novelists do?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Good points DB.

Yes, many books about the Jewish Revolts deal with the religious aspects, as does his, but I am reminded of Neil Faulkner's book, Apocalypse - The Great Jewish Revolt Against Rome AD66-73, which is an excellent military history of that conflict.

Indeed, many have pilloried Tom Holland's Rubicon for doing what Mr. Bloom proudly trumpets - "[to]extrapolate scenarios from scanty or disjointed data."

That said, I may still pick up this book, though at the current price, it will have to wait. There are several others ahead of it (like Goldsworthy's new book Anthony & Cleopatra) and at much more attractive pricing.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:he has an "ability to extrapolate scenarios from scanty or disjointed data" (p. 3) -- isn't that what historical novelists do?

I think you'll find some politicians are rather good at it too ;-)

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:That said, I may still pick up this book, though at the current price, it will have to wait.
You can start reading on Google Books and, by page 25, if you still have the stomach for it, purchase it at that stage! :wink:
I browsed through the pages....

Some remarks....

1. I am an american Jew who is pro Israel, but i also understand Palestinian grievances.................... BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

2. Wargaming community............................................................................................BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

3. I have worked with.......... on..... for 20 years.............. because...................... MEGABUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

4. I base my extrapolation partly on the Jewish Arab wars............................................SUPERMEGABUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

No Thank you !!

As a proud Roman who applauds all of our Empires greatest accomplishments, ie.Burning the temple and destroying Jerusalem multiple times, the siege of Masada, the destruction of Bar Kochba and his petty band of fellow rebels, The crucifixion of Jehoshua the rebel from Nazareth, and many other really nice and warm felt actions by our proud ancestors, i cannot buy this book.... ever.

MEGAROTFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:No Thank you !!
Well, many writers (particularly on Romano-Judaean affairs) have an agenda. At least we know, from the outset, what James J. Bloom's agenda is.

I was more concerned by the fact that, although he knows little about the Roman empire and its army, he still believes that he is qualified to write a book on this subject. As an example from the excerpt available on Google Books, he thinks that the governorship of Syria "was a dead-end post; it was tantamount to being exiled to an unruly, unpleasant backwater" (p. 17). He couldn't be more wrong.
Fascinating D.B. -- thanks for the link.

And you are quite right that all historians have an agenda, but few are so upfront about it.

Yes Marcus, I do have to wonder about using the modern Arab-Israeli wars as a model for the wars of Rome. Would that be like using the Battle of Midway to better understand the Battle of Salamis? Such comparisons can illuminate certain aspects of history, but one must use this device with extreme caution. The war game connections are minor and do not bother me, though they are not really germane. (That The Hunt For The Red October grew out of Tom Clancy's paling of the game Harpoon is an interesting tidbit, but only that.)

The idea of Judea or Syria being a "backwater" and a career dead end sounds like an idea based more on Hollywood than History. Ben Hur was just on TCM last night and that exact sentiment is expressed by the newly appointed governor while at a party in Rome prior to his departure to the East.

I will give these 25 pages a look, but it is beginning to sound like I will be saving $40. We'll see. :|

Some critics complained about Neil Faulkner's book about the Jewish Revolt because he is a "Marxist" Historian, and that at first gave me pause, but I found his book to be excellent. I now have doubts that Bloom will fare as well ...

Thanks again gentlemen.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
It is indeed a fact that only higly trusted people would have been made governor of Syria. And dont mind my over the top reaction, haha, if i ever would have to write a scientific dissertation it would not be like that... Tongue

The Jewish revolts are absolutely interesting material to investigate, especially because they were so much religion related. The Iudaean province was not one of the nicest to be prefect of.... if any comparison to modern day should have to be made it would be that the region for thousands of years has been a powder barrel with the fuse lit, occasionally exploding.

What is interesting however is that due to the arrid nature of for instance the region around Masada, so much has been preserved. The sad thing being Jerusalem not properly being excavated because the LXF camp site these days is a cemetary, the temple mound still a holy site to several religions, and of course the continuous inhabitation of the site.

The worst thing for any historian to do is to try and look beyond the facts, and the evidence from archaeology. Inventing your own stories is a no no.

That is why i also am not interested in this book.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:That revolt has been largely consigned to grammarians interested in Josephus' style (as is so with Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars) and historians of religion.
I wonder if he has read widely enough if he thinks this is virtually all that is written about the first revolt (and lead up).

I'm interested to see what he ascribes the causes of that revolt to. Will be interesting to compare to Goodman's view (and my own! Smile ).
Quote:... (and my own! Smile ).
Welcome to RAT, Nick W. Are you a Jewish War aficionado?
Quote:
nickw:3ir5rwwq Wrote:... (and my own! Smile ).
Welcome to RAT, Nick W. Are you a Jewish War aficionado?

Thanks Duncan - I've been a lurker here for some time, but I thought I'd make a few comments.

I find the whole Jewish War and associated lead-up really interesting. I chose to do a research paper on the causes and the Roman response for my degree last year. I'd like to do some more work on it at some point, but I'm currently busy with work and getting started on my honours thesis (on Roman-Parthian relations during the Julio-Claudians as it happens).
Quote:... my honours thesis (on Roman-Parthian relations during the Julio-Claudians as it happens).
You might find Ancient Warfare magazine 5.5 interesting. :wink:
Quote:
nickw:2kj2ussv Wrote:... my honours thesis (on Roman-Parthian relations during the Julio-Claudians as it happens).
You might find Ancient Warfare magazine 5.5 interesting. :wink:

Thanks - I saw that just recently actually, and am organising to get a copy of it. I hope it doesn't cover off everything I want to consider! Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rome and parthia book Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,199 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Book on History Of Rome Narukami 5 2,424 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM
Last Post: ANTONIVS MAGNVS
  New Book: Rome And The Sword Narukami 2 1,494 01-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Narukami