Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient rural Greek houses?
Is there any information in regards to the appearance or construction of Greek houses outside of the city? Small villages, farms or other rural buildings for example.
I am assuming that they would be adobe or stone block construction with a thatched roof?
Classical period ideally, but earlier and later will also be helpful.
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com
Quote:Is there any information in regards to the appearance or construction of Greek houses outside of the city? Small villages, farms or other rural buildings for example.
I am assuming that they would be adobe or stone block construction with a thatched roof?
Classical period ideally, but earlier and later will also be helpful.

I might be able to help you out a bit more later on, but I know that a number of Greek farmsteads have been found in southern Italy and in the Crimea; you may want to turn to those regions to get a better idea of the construction of such houses.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Hi Ruben,

Thanks for the pointers. I haven't had any luck finding information on the Italian or Crimean ones you mention, im probably not looking in the right place. Any help you could offer would be very much appreciated. Im making some model houses, so external appearence, construction and rough dimentions are all that is important right now.

p.s. I've just noticed your sinature. Im half way through Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy is one of my favourite authors.
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com
Could Vitruvius help? He has a chapter on The Farmhouse and then one on The Greek House.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Good posting, David! Great resource!
Karma ++
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rural Roman Architecture Bryan 1 1,078 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Late Roman Dress of the Working Class and Rural Poor TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX 9 2,441 04-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Restitvtvs
  Did Roman houses have rain gutters? Wander 8 2,495 09-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Last Post: PhilusEstilius