Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Roman Dress of the Working Class and Rural Poor
I recently became fascinated with some of the depictions im pulling out of books I have which show what seems to be a very archaic short sleeved and elbow length tunic type still in use in the late roman and Byzantine era. Initially I wrote this off on artistic convention, but after speaking with a professor at the local university it became clear that these images and a few finds show a distinction between the rich and poor in era (4th-6th c.)

In one depiction from early Byzantine times dock workers are shown still clad in the ancient himaton as they would have been for years, while the higher class folks in the work are wearing the up to date fashions we associate with the period.

In another later Byzantine depiction a somewhat poorer soldier very simply armed is shown elevating the emperor (whose name escapes me), this comes out of the later 7th c. this poorer man who I would guess is a militiaman of some sort is depicted in a plain white short sleeved tunic while the others who are armoured and equipped as regular soldiers again wear up to date clothing.

In addition, im told that fragmentary unadorned short sleeved tunics have been found in lower class cemetaries dating from the 5th-7th c. in egypt.

there are several other depictions ive come across, therefore I am led to believe that the Poorer laborers in the era musave in many cases continued to wear the older fashions which were probably cheaper and more conducive to labor. I would like to hear what people think about this, and also hear of any other depictions or finds people here have seen or heard of.
aka., John Shook
Hi John,

there is a tunic from Mons Claudianus that was clearly made from pieces of discarded clothing, cloaks being among that as well apparently. It was mended again subsequently by more than one hand (to judge by the very much varying quality of the stitching).
Literature: Lise Bender-Jørgensen, 'The Mons Claudianus Textile Project.' Archéologie des textiles des origines au Ve siècle. Actes du colloque de Lattes, octobre 1999. edd. Dominque Cardon et Michel Feugère, éditions monique mergoil, Montagnac, 2000, 253-263
I thought as much, the very poor would have clothed themselves however they could. This is good for civilian impressions but not for military I should think.
aka., John Shook
Quote:I thought as much, the very poor would have clothed themselves however they could. This is good for civilian impressions but not for military I should think.

Yes, the article cited runs in this vein as well, but I thought you were asking the "Working Class and Rural Poor" in the first place?
I suppose I mean the poor in general lol. I do think that reenactors have a tendency whilst doing civilian to overdress, I may do a 2nd c. civilian impression and make it pretty shaggy looking (patches, dirt etc.)

We also seem to forget that cloth was expensive and people would have reused it until it fell apart. Itd be interesting if there was a way to find out how often tunicae were actually passed down to a next generation. Ill bet at least the decorations off of them could be passed down to more than one generation in late roman times.
aka., John Shook
Quote:I do think that reenactors have a tendency whilst doing civilian to overdress
Not just civilians!! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
A military man might not have been quite as shabby even in later periods. I do, however, te to agree with you quite honestly. I so rarely see pictures of a common limitaneus in his everyday duty tunic. Im doubting anyone would have wasted an even marginally decently decorated tunic on regular duties esp. fatigue.

Still.....I like the look of it all, so you can have my Segmentae when you pry them out of my cold dead hands!!! (sorry bad pun) :lol:

Honestly though, for military, I will probably wear a simple long sleeved wool tunic for most of the time.
aka., John Shook
Quote:A military man might not have been quite as shabby even in later periods. I do, however, te to agree with you quite honestly. I so rarely see pictures of a common limitaneus in his everyday duty tunic. Im doubting anyone would have wasted an even marginally decently decorated tunic on regular duties esp. fatigue.

Still.....I like the look of it all, so you can have my Segmentae when you pry them out of my cold dead hands!!! (sorry bad pun) :lol:

Honestly though, for military, I will probably wear a simple long sleeved wool tunic for most of the time.
Very interesting thread and lines of reasoning. 8) Much like what we know from post-Roman centuries worldwide, where people reused of clothing and other things for many different reasons, and depending on finances, to various, varying degrees.

With my varying fortunes :roll: throughout life, I've adjusted my clothing and other material practices. Similarly, as my employers' (different government agencies) budgets have repeatedly fluctuated, they also adjusted their clothing and other material practices.

Accordingly, during the past 10 years, I've incrementally cut back hopes and plans to eventually complete both 1st and 5th century civilian and military kits. Now, just 5th century, mostly civilian.

Now, plain and patched 5th century civilian tunics are a must for me, to have money left for one nice tunic and other things I can't make myself. C'est la vie! :lol:
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:Now, plain and patched 5th century civilian tunics are a must for me, to have money left for one nice tunic and other things I can't make myself. C'est la vie!

and youll look just as authentc in those as anyone in highly decorated tunicae ill wager, provided you dont venture to portray the upper class.

I think on an everyday basis most soldiers would be in a plain long sleeved affair probably in wool. Ive been deep in study, ill let you know if I turn anything world changing up lol.
aka., John Shook
Quote:and youll look just as authentc in those as anyone in highly decorated tunicae ill wager, provided you dont venture to portray the upper class.

I think on an everyday basis most soldiers would be in a plain long sleeved affair probably in wool. Ive been deep in study, ill let you know if I turn anything world changing up lol.
Thank you very much, John! Smile

I'll do the same as I finally wrap up my initial efforts this year.

Best regards, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rural Roman Architecture Bryan 1 1,078 09-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Last Post: Vindex
  Ancient rural Greek houses? immortal 4 1,408 07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  4th/5th century roman women\'s dress Et tu brute 26 7,671 10-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS