Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fox-wolf-dog tail on helmets
I love the way it looks, anybody knows any evidence of it?
[Image: snow.jpg]
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Yow! It looks pretty cold, if you ask me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
None whatsoever!

Looks good though dunnit! Big Grin

Well if feathers/mossgrass/horsehair are definitely used and considering that soldiers from the Samnites to the G.I.s in Vietnam have shoved totemic, symbolic & outright fun objects on their headgear why not!

Careful though, you run the risk of upsetting the more conservative elements of living history

This picture was taken at the start of British summertime! :lol:
Well, if a Roman centurion can get away with sticking a lit brazier full of burning coals on his helmet.....why not? :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Don't forget the helmet from Krefeld which was covered in a Marten fur too.
Quote:Well, if a Roman centurion can get away with sticking a lit brazier full of burning coals on his helmet
...Yeah, but he was a well-known hothead.
(don't kill me)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Well, if a Roman centurion can get away with sticking a lit brazier full of burning coals on his helmet
...Yeah, but he was a well-known hothead.
(don't kill me)

Actually true, and a brutally ignorant one too.... Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Don't forget the helmet from Krefeld which was covered in a Marten fur too.

And the animal skin covered helmets worn by auxilaries on Trajan's Column (its not just standard bearers).

Mind you, I suspect Lord Derfel's wolf tailed soldiers from Bernard Cornwell's books may be an influence as well! Smile
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
And there was the Roman officer who covered his helmet with the skin of a Gallic chieftain he'd killed, and crested it with the scalp of another. Romans had a discerning design sense.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:And there was the Roman officer who covered his helmet with the skin of a Gallic chieftain he'd killed, and crested it with the scalp of another. Romans had a discerning design sense.

Confusedhock: Where was this? That sounds pretty psycho!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Was it a Carthaginian... perhaps Hannibal?

Oh, Someone had to say it!
Florus 2.26.16

"Florus reports on the bizarre contraption worn by one centurion in the early imperial wars fought in Moesia. It consisted of a fire-pan attached to the man's helmet which, when fanned by the movement of his body, sent out flames from his head. The historian is rather scathing of the centurion, suggesting this was stupid, and comparing him to the barbarian enemy, but he admits that the effect torrorised the enemy".

"Display in Ancient Warfare: The Appearance of Armies and Individuals on the Battlefield".

Kate Gilliver
War in History 2007
Thanks Ade, that one I know...but the scalp and skin..... Confusedhock: :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I found this in Ross Cowan's "For the Glory of Rome," p. 159. "Silius Italicus, a consul and epic poet of the 1st century AD, imagined Flaminius riding to his doom wearing a bronze helmet covered with the skin (the scalp?) of a Gallic chief he had killed in single combat, and crested with the long hair of another barbarian warrior." Parentheses are author's. Okay, it's a poem, but it may well have come from an older tradition, and the poet seems not to regard the practice as barbaric.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:It consisted of a fire-pan attached to the man's helmet which, when fanned by the movement of his body, sent out flames from his head.

OMFG How awesome/crazy is that?!

Geeze, beating out ol' Capt. Blackbeard and his burning slowmatch by 1,700 someodd years, eh?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rat-tail pugios? Virilis 13 3,302 03-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Attaching Horse Tail plume to Montifortino Andy 2 1,860 09-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar