Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gulf Oil Spill Clean Up
Quote:In many cases because of the economy the Contractor isn't able to pay unless reimbursed. I took the class with 20 guys. $300.00 times 20 is $6000 before any work is done. I woudnt ask someone to flat out pay for my personal degree in anything so agree with our situation. With us it is taken from our pay. Not that bad as it is a career prospect. I think it is $300.00 so 30 hours of work can start a career that pays well and gives many opportunities once away from the Oil Spill. In my situation as a jobless construction worker it is a pretty sweet deal! One has to pay for college or trade school so this isn't that much different; especially when you get experience. I plan to go into the Fire Service afterwards so this on my resume is a HUGE benefit. This is the best chance of pulling myself out of the construction grave as I call it. 10 years ago I couldn't stop working but since the economy took a dive I haven't had anything but mowing a few lawns to rely on. I dislike the reason I have work but I am happy to work also. I like to do things that mean something and this could be the greatest thing I ever do.

I do understand your point of view, but also the point is, they need a body of people with the qualifications, they should offer to stump up the training fees.
i.e. the oil company.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Easier to ask Uncle Shylock to cough up the funds, I'd think, GJC. There are things that could have been done and were suggested that the Big Bureaucracy ignored. My big gripe is the time it's taken to get things actually moving in the right direction. Finally, the President signed the document that allows foreign nations to help with the project. If it were me, that would have been done right from the start, and we'd worry about laying blame after the crisis was over. Of course, I'm just a guy, not an agency, so my view is pretty low on the horizon of importance.

Good on you for taking up the gauntlet. Here's to success in the shortest time.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote: Of course, I'm just a guy, not an agency, so my view is pretty low on the horizon of importance.

Me too! :x
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
I have family in Gulf Port and Ocean Springs, Mississippi. I am sure they appreciate yours and the efforts of all of the workers struggling against this terrible disaster, be careful out there!

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
I will be careful... Thanks! I will have to get a laptop to communicate with family and such via email ASAP. Besides I really like my music and a certain Military History Forum... :wink:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Saw some converted tanker on the news is supposed to skim oil off the water surface.
Does not work well with waves....even ones only 4 feet hign apparently. :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Apparently that's right. Not a great system, since the Gulf is frequently disturbed by squalls, thunderstorms, etc, particularly this time of year. I'll bet there are some folks wishing they'd started sooner on this mess...sadly, not the ones in charge (or so it seems) at the order desk.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sub Persian Gulf civilization M. Demetrius 16 2,539 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Astiryu1
  Clean up that revolting mess Dan Diffendale 2 1,253 06-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe