Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seedy historians?
Quote:
Terry Deary:2giqbcse Wrote:I've no interest in schools.....Kids should leave school at 11 and go to work.... Everything I learned after 11 was a waste of time.

You can see why academics might be a bit dismissive of his opinions.

You possibly miss his point which, I suspect, was a comment on the British education system (wrapped up in a somewhat exaggerated manner, of course, as that gets publicity and he is in the selling of books business) - was, after all, a teacher and has some inside knowledge Confusedhock:
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
What i heard from some UK based secondary school teachers is that the state decides what the kids should learn about history in school, and that certain critical views are not done......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
The same is true in American Schools. In American History for instance we never learned about the Indian Wars ( Native Americans ). Until I read of them myself the "Last stand of General Custer" is all I knew about. We covered the Revolution and The Civil War and that was about it. Curriculum is the term that signifies what is the status quo for teaching and deviation from it result in a Teacher possibly losing their job. The only thing a teacher can do is refer a separate topic to study for homework. That was the only homework I ever liked by the way! Big Grin
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
»Was hat dich nur von uns entfernt?«
Hab immer den Plutarch gelesen.
»Was hast du denn dabei gelernt?«
Sind eben alles Menschen gewesen.

- Goethe

What was true of historical grand figures also attributes to modern scholars. :wink:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)