Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Germanic Cavalry (Gallic Wars)
Caesar refers to Germanic cavalry as being a formation interspersed with infantry, who would charge with the cavalry. Can anyone give me a good explanation of how this was useful? After the cavalry had hit an enemy formation the light infantry came in an engaged in a stand-up fight, or did he simply mean the German cavalry had something akin to pages or retainers?
I think you answered your own question with the last sentance. Smile

The Germanic cavalry of Caesar's de bello Gallico appear to the Seuvi. They used no saddles, and a warrior ran along-side each horseman. This ped-soldier, it might seem, would perform the function of a person later known as a page. And too, he might hold the horse if the cavalryman dismounted to fight afoot. It would appear that Caesar's Germanic cavalry was elemental, compared to the more sophisticated horsemen-breeders among the Arverni and Aedui. But the Germans turned the tide at Alesia, causing the downfall of Vercingetorix and his brave cousin Vercassivelaunus. Sad
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Take a look to this site:
http://www.projekt-sueben.de/html/aktionen.html
The Inf. Warrior grape the mane of the horse and run with the mounted one, beside the horse.
This allows fast combined attacks. The other way around the near infantry gives safety for retreated and out powered cavalry.
............../\\Sascha../\\..Klauss/\\..............
Quote:Take a look to this site:
http://www.projekt-sueben.de/html/aktionen.html
The Inf. Warrior grape the mane of the horse and run with the mounted one, beside the horse.
This allows fast combined attacks. The other way around the near infantry gives safety for retreated and out powered cavalry.

That is what I was thinking too.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gallic cavalry. . or German or any western cav. . help! Severus 35 13,533 04-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Last Post: philsidnell