Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roma Surrectum
Does anyone else here play the RS mod for rome total war?

It's a really awesome mod and much, much more historically accurate then normal rtw, but I'm trying to make a somewhat historically accurate legion, but I'm not sure how many units for example I should put max into a full army?

I'm guessing probably only 1 legionary first cohort, 9 normal legionary cohorts and a general ... but how many and which auxiliary units or cavalry should I place in the army?

And should I also add units like the lighter cohorts like cohors thracia in a main army aswell?
Erwin van Gorp
Do you have vanilla, BI, or ALX?
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Haven't installed BI, but it isn't necessary to play RS, It has the BI patch in it I think, since I can also perform night attacks, build all BI barbarian buildings, etcetc
Erwin van Gorp
I have tried the 10 century mix, but it leaves little room for more units such as cavelry, archers and artillary.
Sometimes it is good to stand off and hammer them for a while with the onagers, the archers make piecemeal of most units that charge,
and ofcourse the pila volley usually, not always, routs them.

I like the fact that you can recruit generals, govenors, and other ranks, but not soo keen that only the mounted general is, mounted.
And also the sparcity of functioning armouries is a bit frustrating too.
But it is the best version yet, by far. It came at just the right time to staveof the over familiarity with the previous mods,
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I installed and played RS and found the campaign to be mind numbingly easy. My tax intake was off the charts and the enemy factions were very very docile (I play on Hard/Hard). I prefer RS for a good mix of factions, but I prefer Rome:Total Realism for the gameplay. The only bad thing about RTR Platinum Edition is it has no Epeirotes or Attalids.

When they make R2TW I hope they include the possibility of emergent factions. Imagine the Attalids rising out of the ashes of the Antigonids in Asia. That would be ideal.
Is there a R2TW in the works?
It would be good ifthey include navel battles too.
With all the mods from RS.
I did like RTR, but it was lost when I downloaded RS.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
RS pretty much ruins your installation. if you want to try a different mod you have to uninstall RTW and reinstall it. at least with RTRPE it is a mod-switch version which does not screw up your installation. You can have multiple mods of RTW installed as long as they are mod-switch versions. I currently have RTRPE and Diadochi:Total War mods installed, which are both mod-switch versions that have their own EXEs and desktop icons.
Thanks, I did discover something along that line after the fact.

Funny you find them docile, as they all gang up on me, foiling my grande strategies.
I am currently fighting the Gemans, the Carthaginians, the Macedonians, the gauls, some free people factions, I think the Iberians areeither wiped out or hostile to me as well.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't know what was going on. Maybe they were too busy killing each other, but I was raping and pillaging with impunity! I'd be willing to give it another look if they came out with a mod-switch version.
I believe R2TW is the next game in the TW series, yes...but some of us are still hacking at RTW. Smile Let me know if you have any mod questions. I've played a decent number of 'em and coded for a few.
a.k.a.: Steve A.

[Image: AnimatedTOPBRASS.gif]
The Creedy Defense Force: Killing things as often as necessary to make them stay dead since 2005.

The Extended Realism Mod for Rome-Total War: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.
They are docile towards you?

I got gauls, iberians, greeks and macedonians attacking me alot and I never attacked em first (yet).

Already wiped out syracuse, pretty easy and I'm building up forces to invade nw africa and take the rest of greece that I don't own yet.

Yeah as the romans its pretty easy, but as the seleucids its damn hard tbh (compared to original rtw, where I could faceroll turkey, egypt and middle east in no time).

I really can't play seleucids and not use the money cheat in this mod tbh, battles are no problem but it takes soooooo long for the economy to stabilize (and I'm pretty much fully concentrating on mines/roads/markets instead of military buildings.

Macedon on the other hand is (for me at least) the easiest, if not op faction of em all in this mod, compared to normal rtw.
Especially for the ai it seems, they steamroll through every region they set their eyes on (or at least the ones that aren't controlled by me :p )

Oh and although I would really, really like to see r2tw aswell, I kinda would like shogun 2 first, that one needs to be modernized first tbh.
With todays tw engine It would be so cool to see samurai in their glorious armour charging into battle ^^
Erwin van Gorp
That could have been my problem -- I played as the Macedonians and was raping and pillaging left and right. I was a bulldozer. so yeah, Macedonians are pretty overpowered. I didn't bother trying any other factions if Macedon was that overpowered. I moved on to Diadochi:Total War and Rome:Total Realism, two mods that don't break my installation and force me to reinstall the game if I want to try another mod.
It's easy to have Macedon overrun things if you're not careful. There's a real temptation on the design front to put a lot of regions in Greece, and the way the game processes trade bonuses means that control of that area can be a huge economic boost. We used to have the Macedonian AI invading Finland all the time until we changed win conditions, tweaked the map, rebalanced unit costs, rebalanced secondary hitpoints (to account for certain autocalc bonuses...long story), gave phalangites more realistic shield levels, and made the 280 starting position more accurate. Now it works pretty well and even tends to head toward Italy and Phrygia after conquering Greece (when it succeeds), which I consider a solid win.

The Creedy Defense Force: Killing things as often as necessary to make them stay dead since 2005.

The Extended Realism Mod for Rome-Total War: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.
Yeah it's cool that they go that way.

But they seem to overrun the greek city states to easily if you ask me, would expect them to hold out longer tbh.

Another thing that really suprised me (and cost me some troops) was how tough eastern pyjama men are in this mod, compared to the instantly routing weaklings of normal rtw Big Grin
Erwin van Gorp
Hence the reduction in their start position. Remember, Antigonas Gonatas really didn't control much of the region in 280. The key question then becomes, "Does AG consolidate his rule of Macedon and bring his superior combined-arms forces to bear before the Greeks get their collective act together* and fortify enough to resist him and expand?"

*In the current ExRM, I have the Greek faction comprising Athens, Sparta, Elis, and the free half of Crete. In the next version, Elis will be gone and the Peloponnesus will be down to just Corinth and Sparta (see above for why I'm concerned about region proliferation in Greece), so the Greek faction will be Chremonidean allies Athens and Sparta, plus traditional Spartan ally Crete (the free half). I know that's pushing the Chremonidean League a few years too far back in history, but it seems reasonable that the cities were at least on good terms for the decade or so before the formation of the League, and, let's be realistic, my players will shoot me if I ship a mod where they can't PLAY! AS! SPARTAAAAAAAA!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roma Surrectum II - Coming soon! LvpvsRomanvs 12 4,706 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Last Post: tone
  Roma Surrectum Decimus Aurelius Varus 18 7,621 09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Burninator
  I cannot download Roma Surrectum Latinitas 8 6,730 01-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar