Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you remember Chronicle?
This is probably only going to be of use to those within the territorial waters of the UK, but those outside may want to test the digital water just to be sure. One of the great BBC TV series, Chronicle never felt the need to dumb down archaeology quite as much as all channels do these days (which can be annoyingly didactic and at times verge on insulting). How refreshing then to see that the BBC has made some of the landmark episodes available online. These include a piece on Hatra dating back to 1979, so predating the recent unpleasantness.

My memories of the series have sort of congealed into the Silbury Hill dig (which is there), Magnus Magnusson being called Mag by Naughty Morty (which isn't), and Colin Refrew wandering around in a plastic mac (I wonder if he still does that?). Formative television indeed.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
"Not available on your area". Scheisse :evil: !!! Would have been great to see those episodes Cry ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yup, that´s the BBC-problem... I have it all the time with Dr. Who. You can try to find an anonymous-surfing app, it sometimes helps. Or find someone who downloads it for you and sends it on.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Wonderful stuff. Thanks for posting, Mike.
Quote:These include a piece on Hatra dating back to 1979, so predating the recent unpleasantness.
I wish I'd seen the Hatra programme before I visited the site in 1984. It brought back pleasant memories, but highlighted the differences that even 5 years can make: the iwans were fenced off when I visited and I never saw that huge staircase that we see Colin Renfrew walking up. (Great hat, Colin!) Classic BBC. (And it's nice to hear Septimius Severus pronounced correctly! :wink: )

(btw The article in Ancient Warfare II.5 entitled "Between Rome and Parthia" is all about Hatra.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
There's also this one
Excellent to see them again - when I was an archaeology-mad teenager, living miles from any sites or excavations, it was all I had!
Louise Mumford

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Chronicle of Zenobia: the Rebel Queen Robert Vermaat 0 1,019 04-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  "The Complete Chronicle of the Emperors of Rome" Virilis 0 1,140 01-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  NEW BOOK: Chronicle of the Roman republic Jeroen Pelgrom 0 856 10-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom