Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilcar Barca founded Barcelona?
The Wikipedia page for Hamilcar Barca says "He allegedly founded the city of Barcino (currently named Barcelona) while he was on Hispania."

But isn't Barcelona north of the Ebro River? And wasn't the Ebro the demarcation line between the Roman and Carthaginian interests in Spain?

Every map I have ever seen shows the border of Carthaginian holdings in Spain much farther to the south.

But maybe someone here knows more than I do about Barcelona?
According to Pomponius Mela, it was in fact founded by the Lacetani (2.90; cf. Pliny the Elder 3.22, Ptolemy Geography 2.6.18). It looks as if someone accepted the sound of Barca in Barcelona as evidence about its founder.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well its understandable to make such a mistake, since personally i think that the language name of Farsi (Iran) derives from the Parthian language, and not the Persian... however id not dare put that on a Wiki page LOL

Etymology can be fun......

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:According to Pomponius Mela, it was in fact founded by the Lacetani (2.90; cf. Pliny the Elder 3.22, Ptolemy Geography 2.6.18). It looks as if someone accepted the sound of Barca in Barcelona as evidence about its founder.

Awesome, thanks for the references!
The Iberian Lacetani name of the city of Barcelona was Barkino... it was from this name that Romans gave the name to the new city founded at 9 b. C. beside the old Iberian city, sited over Montjuic mountain. It was a very common phenomenon that the new Roman administration gave the new cities names so similar to its original Iberian name... Barcelona/Barkino; Badalona/Baitulo; Tarragona/Tarakon... probably, it was an effective system for made the Iberian inhabitants of the ancient Iberian settlements thought the situation was still the same before they arrived. Obviously, it was not at all.

Best Regards
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HANNIBAL BARCA UNIFORM smithart101 13 5,106 01-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Last Post: smithart101
  Hamilcar Barca Mythos_Ruler 8 2,720 07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio