Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial gallic - new version of old work
Jurgen, where did you get the helmet bowl or did you make it
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Didn't make the bowl myself. I'm not up to such a task, yet. Where the bowl is from I honestly don't know. The bowl has been spun and neckguard brazed on. It was just a piece of 'crap' some of my friends had laying around in his workshop. I just gave it a new life by finishing it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you ever run across something like that again, please let me know.

I am always looking at E-bay for a decent helmet that someone is selling for cheap since I too would like to modify a helmet since I cannot make bowls myself (yet).

I would like to get one smooth bowl so that I can make the Italic D.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:If you ever run across something like that again, please let me know.

I am always looking at E-bay for a decent helmet that someone is selling for cheap since I too would like to modify a helmet since I cannot make bowls myself (yet).

I would like to get one smooth bowl so that I can make the Italic D.

Hi Doc,

You could ask these guys to make you a iron bowl to start with:
[url:2xshl6dt]http://www.rudis-kuenstlerwerkstatt.de/gallerie-helme.htm[/url]

I'm sure other people in the US are also able to make you a simple bowl. I even own a irregular Batavian helmet which bowl is a simple big salade cup. (by Ikea, if you're familiar with that company, don't know if they're also active in the USA). The Deepeeka italic B is the most simple Deepeeka bowl you can get and isn't that expensive either.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurgen,

Thanks for the information. I know of that company but forgot to look it up.

Paolo
I might suggest these guys... http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/helmparts.htm . I was considering on using them for my next project.

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
That is a good site. I wish they had a phone number so that I can discuss the exact nature of what I would like. The other problem is that 12 and 14 gauge are way too thick for Roman helmets of the Gallic and Italic in the 1st C AD (AFAIK)

Paolo
Quote:12 and 14 gauge are way too thick

I figured the 14 gauge was the weight of the sheet metal before the dishing, so the actual thickness could be thinner (maybe closer to 16g?) for the most part .

--Kelsey
Kelsey McLeod
Even so, from what I know, many of the iron helmets are 1mm or less in thickness at the top of the bowl. At least for the 1st C AD helmets.

Paolo
Quote:I might suggest these guys... http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/helmparts.htm . I was considering on using them for my next project.

Thanks for that site. It seems to be very usefull! (and at interesting rates)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I even own a irregular Batavian helmet which bowl is a simple big salade cup. (by Ikea, if you're familiar with that company, don't know if they're also active in the USA). The Deepeeka italic B is the most simple Deepeeka bowl you can get and isn't that expensive either.
Jurjen, is this the Ikea bowl?:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20057255

The BLANDA BLANK?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yeah, that's it. We use it regularly in projects, as they feature a couple of different sizes. Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Jurgen,

That is interesting. Yes, here in the US there is Ikea as well.

Thanks for the link.

Paolo
Yeah, it's a great bowl for simple projects, where most of the bowl is covered by other material etc and is cheap.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,136 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,841 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,369 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork