Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The gladius and its effect in history
Speaking of swords and makers, I would like to add my two cents.

Yes, the Marrow/Lukes combination is well known to work. However, I would like to point out that a blade made by Matt Lukes is no less and in most respects more accurate than what Marrow produces.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Having seen some of Matt Luke's "work in progress" pictures he was kind enough to share, I will second that one! Matt putting me in the same sentence as Tony is way to much honour, I do make big and nasty knives, but swords are still somewhere up the road, as I am still very much working on my forging equipment and keep getting sidetracked by yet another interesting spearhead or new type of arrowhead.
Miks is a two volume issue, the second book with the chonology of blade types, diagrams and plates of a great many swords and fitting is a must have for a person serious about Roman swords. But as said, quite a few people on this forum have it and can answer specific questions. Getting yourself a sword collection of the main types should include at least two types of spatha, IMHO. The spatha was around at the same time as the various gladii, also showing an evolution, before replacing the gladius altogether.

Have fun on this forum, but be warned, the Roman bug bites hard!
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Yes Robert, I too second the Roman Bug.

I just started with "I want a centurio helmet" and that is all. Now I am up to plumata by Erik Schmid, gladii (notice the plural) and pugios.....Matt Lukes. You get the picture.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belgrade Museum of Military History Gladius Ricktavius 17 5,075 08-01-2007, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Question: Gladius History, the diffrent types? Martin Wallgren 2 1,106 11-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Celer