Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trying to locate MIA Roman soldier, Kurt Suleski
Aitor, I based my design the same as Kurt. We went by the Greek and Roman engineers. They might have changed to the in swing ballistas at a later date i'm not sure. I am not sure if I want to attempt the inswinger. But who knows. Fred
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Fred,

What I postulate is that already Greek stone-throwers were inswingers and Roman engineers only changed wood for iron on their arrow-shooting ballistae.
Read the paper if you have time and aspirines at hand! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
But arrow shooter are all outswinger, or not?

PD: Hola, Aitor. Que bien verte por aquí otra vez!
Lucius,
I think it is safe to say that all euthytone type arrow shooters (Greek and Roman), up until the Cremona find (69AD?) were outswingers. Sometime between then and Trajan's First Dacian Campaign the metal-framed ballista was developed. Due to wider spacing of the bundles it could potentially throw both stones and arrows. The last evidence of the classic Vitruvian /euthytone engine is on the tomb of Vedinnius (96 AD?). The late John Antsee and Aitor have made a convincing (IMHO) case that the metal-framers were inswingers. If you check the Carrus and Carroballista thread I've listed a few observations of my own that support that conclusion. So I would suggest that all arrow shhoters prior @100AD were outswingers and rapidly transitioned to metal inswingers. When it comes to the palintone engines there is even less evidence from which to work. The only known example of a large stone thower is the later Hatra find. That was most likely an inswinger as well.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
That's it, Randi! 8)
Euthytones were compact, solid and, to a certain extent, cheaper to produce, while powerful enough to shoot bolts.
Notwithstanding, when better results were needed, palintones were adapted for shooting bolts from Hellenistic times on. Heron says that palintones can shoot both, stones and bolts and Agesistratus famous range record was achieved using a modified palintone.
To my mind, those palintones, expensive and cumbersome, though much more powerful, were all inswingers.

Hola César,
Sí, estoy gradualmente volviendo a la brecha y ya estamos pensando en Tàrraco Viva! :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hey Aitor, I didn't recieve Kurt's emaill address. If you did, I didn't get it. Please let me know. Thanks, Fred
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Sorry Fred, I'd sworn I had already PMd you, but it seems I didn't... :oops:
PM sent. :roll:

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
So is Kurt still doing Roman reenacting? Will he have a new site up or not?

Legion: TBD
I don't know for sure Matt... :? He told me that his site maybe would re-appear in a(n uncertain) future.

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Fred,

Have you received my PM :?:

I have checked my message area and the last one (and the first one. In fact I had alredy answered you. I remembered well 8) ) I have sent you today is in the Outbox instead of being in the Sentbox.
I don't really know what is happening, but it has happened twice :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Anyone heard from Kurt Suleski? I thought he had a new site up, but couldn't find the URL for it...

Does this mean you know him or not?
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
I've conversed with him over email, not sure if that counts as knowing someone or not in this day and age.

Quote:I've conversed with him over email, not sure if that counts as knowing someone or not in this day and age.
An acquaintance, I'd say. A much underused word in this day and age.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Someone looking for me?

I've been out of the Roman reenctment loop for a long while. If ANYONE wants to contact me, please email me personally at ksuleskiATcomcast.nit (substitute @ for AT and net for nit... damn I hate spam machines!)

A bit of news. My ballista was recently sold to my good friend Ron Toms in Texas, who is also the admin for the Catapult Message Base on the web. He and I recently were filmed using the ballista for a history series debuted in UK. I myself have not seen any of the footage, and film makers being what they are, are not willing to send me a copy of the footage depsite several pleas because they are typically selfish and have gotten what they want out of me at Ron for the moment. Who needs them anyway? Lately I have been involved with WWII German reenactment, and have collected a few machineguns and a couple WWII motorcycles to play with. If any of you guys needs some info on construction of Roman armour, contact me.

My website is STILL up and running, and Aitor's pages are a part of it:
[url:rkus2ns7]http://www.stormthewalls.kicks-ass.net/[/url]

Kurt Suleski
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Anoka, MN USA