Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trying to locate MIA Roman soldier, Kurt Suleski
Hi guys. I need your help locating a soldier named Kurt A. Suleski. He is from Legio XX I believe. He is a fellow ballista builder and I have lost contact with him. He had a web site called, Knight's Armoury. I tried emailing him and his web site is gone. Does anyone know what happened to him or how I can get in touch with. Thanks borthers,

Fred (Flavius Octavius Servius)
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Hey Fred! Glad to see that our big guns are now on line. I don't know what's up with Kurt Suleski's site. Aitor mentioned something about it in the Manuballista thread. I know it was very useful to you in building "Atomic Annie". Any ideas on Roman names for the onager and balllista yet? My copy of Alan Wilkins' "Roman Artillery" is in. There's a section on the big BBC ballista that will be of particular interest to you.
Tell Elvis that Elvira says Hi,
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Fellow artillarymen, salve!

I was corresponding with him last year, and will see if I can find his email address. Give me a bit of time on that, and I will email it to you once I locate it.
Dane Donato
Legio III Cyrenaica
HI GUYS!! Yes I have been trying to talk to him for a couple of weeks now. I tried emailing him but he does not respond. I hope he is ok. Rich, I haven't really thought about a Roman name for the ballista yet. I tell ya Rich and Dane, if we had the money and tools we could build that full sizeballista that BBC built, and it would work. Big Grin . Well, If anybody from R.A.T. can locate Kurt tell me to contact me.
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
How much do you estimate that it would cost to build one of the same scale as the BBC machine?
Juuso Laasonen
Well, mine cost me $5000 to build. It is 12' tall and 12' wide and throws a 3 lb. cement round rock. It weights around 1,200 lbs. When we put it together at events we use an A frame ganty with a chain fall.

I would say between $15-$25, 000, to build that BBC size machine. When you have a BBC budget, everything is great. Just at the top of my head thier power was low because of the rope was not wraped tightly. I used a hand winch and a caliper and clamps. It took me 6 striaght hours to wrape the rope in the hole carrier, JUST ONE of them. It took me 6 months of planning and 6 months to build. Kurt helped me a lot and made me do A LOT on my own. He would not just give his plans up. He is amazing and put a lot of time into research and things.

I also made an Roman Onager. It is 4'W x 6'L x 5' T, we throw softballs at events. I will put photos on this. I will show you them if you want.
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
It won't let me attach a photo. It is telling me they are to big.
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Quote:I also made an Roman Onager. It is 4'W x 6'L x 5' T, we throw softballs at events. I will put photos on this. I will show you them if you want.
Photos? How about links to videos (insert 'foaming at the mouth' emoticon)?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
How do I attach photos and videos.
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Fred,

First of all you should enter your real name in your signature. As I wrote to you earlier that IS a forum rule.

Quote:How do I attach photos and videos.
You can attach pictures up to 800x800 by using the 'add an attachment' button at the bottom of the message. Or include a link to the url of the images and videos.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:
legioIIIvexillarius:3qd8x6hh Wrote:I also made an Roman Onager. It is 4'W x 6'L x 5' T, we throw softballs at events. I will put photos on this. I will show you them if you want.
Photos? How about links to videos (insert 'foaming at the mouth' emoticon)?

Did anyone take video of our weapons drills/training at Roman Days MD or at Kingston? I can't recall. I was too busy having fun. I did post a picture of the onager and ballista on the Carrus and Carroballista thread. Dane, didn't you get some good pics at Kingston? We reall should get off our Luddite butts and have someone more electronically capable (ie under-thirty) take and post videos. Marcus, when I get the Carroballista going you'll have to bring your mules out to play.
In October/November the have an event in Delaware called Punkin' Chunkin' where they throw 8lb pumpkins for distance using all kinds of tension, torsion, and counterweight artillery. Some of the air cannons are close to breaking the one-mile mark. They have a theatrical class where style counts more than range. I think we need to head down there and show them how it was done back in the day. Who's with me?
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I'd love to, but the east coast is quite a trek to have them in the trailer. Might be able to work something out.

Also, I've always loved the punkin chunkin event. I've seen clips from it here and there, and always wished it could get a full national broadcast.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Ok Rob, I'm new at this RAT stuff. I went to profile and added my real name. I thought it was a joke because you called me Fred.

I'm really not interested in using my $5,000 ballista to throw pumkins.

I'm not much of a computer guy. How do I make a ULR to view photos. Fred
(Fred Wojick)
Flavius Octavius Servius
Vexillarius
Legio III
Cyrenaica
Cohors II
Heya Fred! Welcome to the board!

I hope we can get pictures, and eventually video up on our website...Wish I knew website stuff, I'd love to help maintain the site...Maybe should look for taking classes!

...Leg III...Taking over RAT one topic at a time :wink:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:I'd love to, but the east coast is quite a trek to have them in the trailer. Might be able to work something out.

Also, I've always loved the punkin chunkin event. I've seen clips from it here and there, and always wished it could get a full national broadcast.

I may have to load up my toys and take a roadtrip out west. At least I won't have to keep stopping to shovel out the trailer :lol: Either the Discovery Channel or the Learning Channel has done shows on the competition. It looks like a heck of a fun time. Theoretically my carroballista should be capable of throwing stones as well as sharps. A small pumpkin or gourd should work too. Maybe that's why they arched the top strut, to provide clearance to toss severed enemy heads :twisted:
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"