Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
child size lorica segmentata
Dear members,

As a dad, I have commited myself to make a lorica segmentata for my 11-yr old son. It will not have to be ready for combat, just look right. My question is: what metal to use? A full seize steel lorica weighs about 12 kgs, and even with a correction for his seize, he is 140 cms, it would still leave about 12 kgs of steel. Should I go for aluminium, thinner steel? Does anyone have experience there?

Any advice is welcome.

Salve,

Paul
Paul, dad of Nick aka Nicus Maximus
As a 11 year old boy in a segmentata isn't 'authentic' and is more for fun, I would certainly opt for a aluminium one. Thinner steel is an option, but as kids are playing can also support the plates to bent or be destroyed faster. Also, aluminium will save you some cleaning and has a good look.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't do it at all. Within two years he will have grown so much that it won't fit anymore... Unless you can pass it through to children of other members of your group or to your family. But that's just my - probably to be ignored - opinion. Smile
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Actually, it was the thought that crossed my mind too.
as you say though, the armour can be passed on to other youngsters.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dear all,

Thanks for your input. The lorica won't go waisted if he starts to rocket to full seize. Boys his age, and I agree with you there, can outgrow a custom made lorica within a year. But hey, we have another mini-legionaire who is now 8. As a last resort, I can always donate the lorica to our local Roman museum/theme parc called the Archeon or a reenactment group.

My idea is to scale down the Cornbridge version to about 75%. By doing that on all details, claps as well as the scales themselves, I think I can keep the good proportions on all details. That sounds to me as a better option then buying commercial claps and fittings and put them on hand made segments. A member of a Dutch Reenactment group has vollunteered to teach me the techniques to be used, and I am looking forward to meet with him and get busy.

Once I start, I will keep you all posted on developments. Oy, the sweat is already pooring down even thinking of this project :-( ( (.
Nice you got help by one re-enactor to guide you. Is it Paul Karremans? If so, you got one of the best people to guide you through the process!

Anyway, good luck on the process and maybe I'll once see your creation for real.
ALA I BATAVORUM
No it's not Mr Karremans, but Mr Wim Jung who will guide me. I have seen his work last weekend, and it was impressive. If you want to, I can mail you some pictures of my first attempts of a gladius and pugio. I have made them last year for my boys, and they are made of aluminium. I know the details aren't right, but it was, as I said before, a first attempt.

Regards,

Paul
Ah, Wim is also a good guide. Good luck with it.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Funny that you should mention kid-sized armor, I have just been working on a new lorica hamata for my son's 8th birthday. Last year he spent an entire event running around in one of our extra auxilliary ones. We had to cinch the neck up with leather to keep it from falling down. I vowed to make him one of his own. I am using 14Ga. aluminum wire. It is available in 1/4 mile spools use as electric fencing wire. The total cost of materials will be about $20. I'd thought about making him a segmentata, but decided that a hamata was much easier to expand as he grows. I've got the main panels finshed, but still need to fit it up and add the cape/doubling. I think aluminum plate is the best way to go. You can make it thicker, which will allow you to round off the corners and sharp edges. Keep us posted, I may try a seggie for next year.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Hi Paul,

Given what I've seen of your handywork last weekend you're probably not looking for the cardboard Lorica Segmentata that's readily available. However, it will save you a lot of work and the result is acceptable. Good luck anyways and I hope you get the hang of rivetting Big Grin
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Quote:Hi Paul,

Given what I've seen of your handywork last weekend you're probably not looking for the cardboard Lorica Segmentata that's readily available. However, it will save you a lot of work and the result is acceptable. Good luck anyways and I hope you get the hang of rivetting Big Grin

Dear Paul,

Should I go for cardboard, I think I will get stabbed more times by my sons then Gaius was by his :-) )

No, my oldest wants a metal one, and that will be my thing for this autumn and probably winter. The rivetting sounds like a lot of work, but not impossible to do. I'm okay with that. Time maybe priceless, but it doesn't cost a cent, only sweat and commitment.

Just for my information: did we meet in the Archeon in Alphen aan den Rijn last weekend? Are you "the other Paul" (I was there with my family, including a rather big but lovely dog named Bliksem)? If so, please give me a phone call or mail me. You should have my details.

Best regards,

Paul
Faced with much the same situation for my 7 year old grandson I opted for a chain mail look with an eye to weight, comfort, safety and my artistic abilities or lack there of... Besides, he wanted to be a Centurion so mail was the order of the day.

We also opted for a plastic helmet (converted from a toy M-1 style helmet) with cheek & neck pieces added on and wooden weapons (the Gladius obtained from Soul of the Warrior). Again the goal was light weight and easy to wear while still looking reasonable.

As a Halloween costume the overall look is not bad, though I fully realize that it would not pass muster with any of the groups here. Still, for a 7 year old it fit the bill.

If my grandson continues to show an interest in ancient Rome then perhaps, when he is older, we will consider moving on to actual metal armor.

Now, gentlemen, photos of your efforts please. It will be most informative to see what each of you comes up with. Smile

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:No, my oldest wants a metal one, and that will be my thing for this autumn and probably winter. The rivetting sounds like a lot of work, but not impossible to do. I'm okay with that. Time maybe priceless, but it doesn't cost a cent, only sweat and commitment.

Indeed. And most important, it also will be much fun (as I get the impression you're someone who likes crafts, just like me). And of course your son can be proud to have a custom made seggie! Riveting is indeed a lot of work, but compared to other jobs, riveting a segmentata is good to do. (Just compare it to a Vindolanda chamfron (horse head protection/decoration) which has only about 1700 rivets on it).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Faced with much the same situation for my 7 year old grandson I opted for a chain mail look with an eye to weight, comfort, safety and my artistic abilities or lack there of... Besides, he wanted to be a Centurion so mail was the order of the day.

We also opted for a plastic helmet (converted from a toy M-1 style helmet) with cheek & neck pieces added on and wooden weapons (the Gladius obtained from Soul of the Warrior). Again the goal was light weight and easy to wear while still looking reasonable.

As a Halloween costume the overall look is not bad, though I fully realize that it would not pass muster with any of the groups here. Still, for a 7 year old it fit the bill.

If my grandson continues to show an interest in ancient Rome then perhaps, when he is older, we will consider moving on to actual metal armor.

Now, gentlemen, photos of your efforts please. It will be most informative to see what each of you comes up with. Smile

:wink:

Narukami

Racecraft in Middlesex UK makes very nice plastic helmets, weapons and even a real scutum. I will post pics lateron today.
My children wanted metal weapons, so I have made them both a pugio and a gladius from aluminium. The grips, I made from wooden and metal curtain rings. OK, not authentic, but the result isn't that bad at all for its purpose. I have enclosed a pic of the weaponary.
I'll bet the kids are chuffed! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 264 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,764 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,912 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs