Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relief from Seville
If you'll take a close look, you'll see in fact that the pommel is trilobate, and considering that in combination with the shape of the guard, I'm fairly confident in saying its meant to be a Celtic or heavily Celtic-influenced sword.
Paul
USA
I'd guess it's a hispaniensis. It's certainly not the only depiction of a Roman weapon with a lobed pommel, though of course that doesn't rule out Celtic influence! The guard would fit nicely with rounded blade shoulders.

I don't see much problem with the greaves, or that their presence should imply that the men are gladiators. Unless there is a historical source to the contrary, the abandonment of greaves under Marius is probably one of those modern assumptions that we make. There just aren't enough good illustrations from this era (whatever we decide that is!) to draw too many solid conclusions.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
What about the clearly trapezoidal shields? I'm working from memory here, but didn't some kind(s) of gladiators employ trapezoidal shields, perhaps deriving from Samnite influence?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Jona wrote:
Quote:i find it pretty intrigueing that one of the soldiers appears to be wearing a tunica, and no armor at all.

...and....
Tarbicus wrote:
Quote:No, hold on, I just took another look. It looks like a separate garment on top of the tunic. If you look at the figure's right shoulder, and the hem of the tunic.
....and....
Theodosius wrote:
Quote:Notice both figures have some kind of fringe on the hem of their tunics ?

I would venture to suggest that both the 'Osuna' relief and the Praetorian depict a cover/tunic worn OVER armour, and that the "fringe" depicts pteruges showing beneath the hem of the tunic, hence both figures are probably meant to show armour beneath a tunic.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:I'd guess it's a hispaniensis. It's certainly not the only depiction of a Roman weapon with a lobed pommel, though of course that doesn't rule out Celtic influence! The guard would fit nicely with rounded blade shoulders.

I don't see much problem with the greaves, or that their presence should imply that the men are gladiators. Unless there is a historical source to the contrary, the abandonment of greaves under Marius is probably one of those modern assumptions that we make. There just aren't enough good illustrations from this era (whatever we decide that is!) to draw too many solid conclusions.

Matthew

That makes me wonder what precise era these represent. The greaves on both legs certainly intrigue me...
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't see any suggestion of a manica. In the late Republic gladiators wore a short manica covering just the forearm below the elbow, often covering the sword hand as well.
Pecunia non olet
Given that this is sunny Spain could the item worn over the armour be some attempt to reduce the heat absorbed by the hamata? Or it is padded because it was just too darn hot to wear metal armour. Later Spanish cultures wore less armour due to the summer temperatures. Just a thought......
a.k.a. Simon Frame

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two Republican legionaries, Seville museum richsc 3 1,693 05-20-2015, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Seville exhibition richsc 38 8,808 01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Last Post: SigniferOne
  Isidore of Seville : Roman citizen ? Theodosius the Great 8 2,907 11-30-2004, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat