Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which person had greatest impact on fall of rep.
who is this him. email me who so i don't make the mistake of using it and causing more conflicts than i already have. [email protected] <p>Why are the French streets lined with trees... Because the Germans like to march in the shade</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
Marius is blameless.<br>
It was Sulla that showed how much havoc a megalamaniac could reap. Caesar just copied him. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
Im not bashing marius or your opinion, but I do believe that Sulla was Marius's legate I believe it was, please correct me if that is the incorrect term for sulla's position. There must have been some influence from marius. Sulla wasn't a perfect man by any means, actually sulla had a reputation for killing opposition or to kill people to get what he wanted. Sulla was more dangerous on the account that he had the patrician blood, whereas marius did not, and Sulla started a very bad trend. Taking into consideration that Caesar also was influenced by Marius when he was growing up, as he also influenced by Sulla. Caesar was considered extremely dangerous by his rivals because he had the blood and was nearly unbeatable on the battle field. Caesar in contrast to sulla was less cruel and more sane, not saying sulla was necessarilly insane, but just very cruel against his opposition, with his prosciptions. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
How about 'Jesus Christ' his death sparked a new religion called christanity which broke away from Judiasm and spread to all parts of the Empire and eventually Rome itself .Because of the Teachings of this 'then cult ' " tho shalt have no other gods " the Ordinary Roman abandoned his/her various Gods and diaetys and adopted its beliefs when christanity spread to the Legions they no longer belived in the after life or putting ones life on the line or taking anougher life and they lost the will to fight and to protect the Roman empire preffering to capitulate to the invader as in 'Love your enemy ' in Rome itself instead of building Temples and monuments to to their gods ,Emperors & triumphs the casers built churches instead . <p></p><i></i>
Caractacvs, the question was refering the fall of the <em>Republic</em> ! Anyway, the prevailing belief is that it died about 50 years before the death of Christ when Octavian became Princeps.<br>
<br>
Nuff' said on that point.<br>
<br>
Referring back to the earlier discussion, I think one <em>can</em> say it was inevitable that the Republic would fall based on the trajectory of events. If the events continued on their present course then the outcome was a foregone conclusion. Just my opinion .<br>
<br>
And about Imperialism being incompatible with Republicanism : Ever heard of the Athenian Empire ?<br>
<br>
I agree with Pompeius Magnus that the catalysts of the chain of events which led to the fall of the Republic were the Gracchi brothers.<br>
<br>
Valete !<br>
-Theo <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Quote:</em></strong><hr>And about Imperialism being incompatible with Republicanism : Ever heard of the Athenian Empire ?<hr><br>
Yeah, it fell quickly <p>Greetings<br>
<br>
Rob Wolters</p><i></i>
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Well Rob, yes, the Spartans took care of them sure enough. Pericles was too incompetent.<br>
<br>
My point was that expansionism isn't incompatible with a republican form of government . The US expanded westwards during the 19th and early 20th centuries and now it's the dominant power in the world with its form of government completely intact.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Quote:</em></strong><hr>My point was that expansionism isn't incompatible with a republican form of government .<hr><br>
<br>
Indeed- the "Republic" itself was already an imperialist power (albeit, a fledgling one) nearly 200 years <strong>prior</strong> to the Battle of Actium.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>My point was that expansionism isn't incompatible with a republican form of government.<hr>You're right of course, but you just picked a bad example and I couldn't resist it. <p>Greetings<br>
<br>
Rob Wolters</p><i></i>
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
Pompey demanding, and getting, the consulship without ever holding an office deserves some mention. If I remember, it set an ominous precedent? But there's really no point of origin, the fall of the Republic has to be blamed on a number of things... <p></p><i></i>
I would have to say the Gracchi as well. The tribunate always had the potential to become very problematic for the stability of the republic and they are the ones that actualized that potentiallity. That upset the balancing act of the different magistrates which got the ball rolling, leading, eventually, to Marius' attempted hijacking of Sulla's command, with the aid of a tribune, to which Sulla replied with his march on Rope; Sulla, faced with an innovation, countered it with a more extreme innovation.<br>
<br>
The Gracchi, though, are the first link in the chain of causation. <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who was this person? Gladius Hispaniensis 3 1,430 01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Roman expansion (was "...greatest impact on fall of Rep Anonymous 2 1,488 05-31-2004, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Anonymous