Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Streetview off road: Hadrian\'s Wall?>
In the UK, looks like a Google trike will go around on paths taking that great Google view. Maybe the entire length of Hadrian's Wall, for example? Maybe start a campaign to list what they should do, or even, volunteer to ride the trike!

[url:169duic7]http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article6702161.ece[/url]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:In the UK, looks like a Google trike will go around on paths taking that great Google view. Maybe the entire length of Hadrian's Wall, for example?

Well I've just come back from walking the Wall (again) last week (and have cycled it in the past) and there are two big obstacles to that plan.

1. The HW National Trail is a footpath, not a bridle way, so no bikes allowed. You can only follow nearby roads except where special routes have been created.

2. That thing (which looks like the b*st*rd offspring of a union between a stop-me-and-buy-one icecream vending bike and a London rickshaw) will only be good for flat conditions at the Newcastle or Bowness ends (the former already being covered by Streetview). Trust me, I have cycled up Greenhead Bank on a tandem (and lived to tell the tale) and the Googlycle couldn't even make it up there, let alone Walltown Crags!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
So, just adapt the rig onto a shoulder harness, and send some intrepid volunteer to walk the walk! Smile wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Steady cam! there you have it. And this isn't just the Wall, but all Roman sites (and everything else I should think that isn't visible from a roadway.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walk through the BM on Google Streetview richsc 1 2,314 12-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Future Learn - Hadrian\'s Wall tigger 3 2,216 05-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Last Post: Charlie
  Everyday Life of a Soldier on Hadrian\'s Wall Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 0 1,322 04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Quintus Aurelius Lepidus