Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legion Symbols Found in Ancient Cave
Quote:Hmmmm, what is the triangle supposed to represent?
Looks like what I used to draw as a kid!

From the moment I saw this I knew it reminded me of something. Took a while to ponder it but it resembles the standard to the right of the Mars figure on the Oosterbeek sword scabbard mouth plate. I don't have a photo or drawing to hand but the Mars is the one I used as the logo for Arma back in 1989 and that standard (which is quite recognisable as such) features the same triangle (a triangular vexillum? A square vexillum blown back at the corners? Who knows...). For those of you who have Miks' book, it is A549 on Taf. 209.

If it is intended as a standard, then it is all crossbars and pendant straps, which makes it a little weird, but then life tends to be weird in my experience. Of course, standards are not what they used to be ;-) )

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Legion Symbols Found in Ancient Cave - by mcbishop - 06-24-2009, 12:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Heraldic Symbols Lothia 14 5,396 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Hospital built by the 10th Legion Found Narukami 20 5,689 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Christian symbols on roman soldier\'s tombstones? Marcus Mummius 5 2,150 01-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Salvianus