Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Army Heraldic Symbols
Ave Civitas,

I was wondering if there were standard symbolism of images appearing on legionary shields.
For instance, Legio duodecimae fulminatae - 12th Lightening Legion- I guess would have had the Lightening bolts I often see on the Roman shields in recreation groups.
There are many I see that I cannot make a connective relationship between the symbol and the units history or achievements or area of recruitment.
And, there seem to be a few recurring symbols that I am at a loss to understand their meaning althogether.
For instance, the device on the oval shield of Mr. Vermaat and that of Magister Militum Flavius Aetius. They both have what looks like a pedistal mounted with a cresent moon, horns upward.
What is that and what does it mean?
Many shields have animals, wolves, dogs, lions, horses (horses heads mounted atop the horns of Mr. Vermaat's device) etc.
Is there a source of Roman Army Heraldry?

Thanks, Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
Quote:Ave Civitas,

I was wondering if there were standard symbolism of images appearing on legionary shields.
For instance, Legio duodecimae fulminatae - 12th Lightening Legion- I guess would have had the Lightening bolts I often see on the Roman shields in recreation groups.
There are many I see that I cannot make a connective relationship between the symbol and the units history or achievements or area of recruitment.
And, there seem to be a few recurring symbols that I am at a loss to understand their meaning althogether.
For instance, the device on the oval shield of Mr. Vermaat and that of Magister Militum Flavius Aetius. They both have what looks like a pedistal mounted with a cresent moon, horns upward.
Many shields have animals, wolves, dogs, lions, horses (horses heads mounted atop the horns of Mr. Vermaat's device) etc.

Thanks, Tom

That's an anintriguing question, In the late Era there were many different patterns representing individual units - The Cornuti Seniores shield in my avatar was supposed to represent the Horns of a Bull I belive.

Depictions of HEads, Lion/Dog heads, or Lions/cheetahs on late roman shields (Such as the Prima Flavia) may have represented that the individual person was a headhunter, and liked to keep the heads of their enemies as prizes. the heads may have also been depictions of Jesus, or other Religious figures.

This is speculative, that's all I know, I'd have to get sources if you wanted to look into it further but I won't have access to them for a few months.

HEre's a link to the ND if you want to look at patterns.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson/...icani.html
Keep in mind, that the shield patterns showing animals may have been modified in the medieval transcripts according to the current styles and fashions, or even depending on the country, where the were transcribed.
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Bear in mind that the lightning and thunder bolts are religious symbols. One thing that occurred to me is that the scutum is held by the hand directly behind where the bolts emanate from. It wouldn't surprise me if they represented the soldier having some kind of supernatural power or oneness with a deity, being grasped as Jupiter would do so, especially if they were tinned or silvered and reflected the sun and sky. Speculative, but perhaps a psychological aspect to battlefield warfare, and a practical justification for the expense on something that would be well and truly battered?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Keep in mind, that the shield patterns showing animals may have been modified in the medieval transcripts according to the current styles and fashions, or even depending on the country, where the were transcribed.

Yeah I should have mentioned that.
Quote:They both have what looks like a pedistal mounted with a cresent moon, horns upward.
As Mark suggested, I think that many of the shield designs shown in the Notitia Dignitatum may have been stylised or simplified versions of more elaborate earlier forms.

The upturned crescent design is seen on several of the auxiliary shields on Trajan's column, sometimes with a 'stem' linking it to the boss - something similar can be seen on the shield of the late Roman soldier from the Villa Maria catacomb in Syracuse: an upturned crescent at the top, with some more detailed design (twin animal heads, or even birds in a tree? It's hard to make out) at the bottom.

On the other hand, the twinned facing animal heads design appears not only in the ND but in other late depictions: the arch of Constantine shows a shield with a standing figure of Victory in the top half and the twin facing heads of a rather detailed but unidentified creature (goat? dragon?) in the lower half. A similar design appears on a bronze figurine weight of a later emperor, possibly Constantine again: the twinned heads of an animal, with a Christian staurogram between them. Third-century brooches (I think) found in Britain show a pair of seahorse heads on a branching crescent shape, and these too might reflect the same imagery - perhaps it was originally a Germanic design?

There are a number of other known designs featuring various gods, heroes and totem animals (Hercules, and a eagle holding a thunderbolt, on the arch of Galerius; twinned dolphins and a trident on an Antonine shield on the reused panels of the arch of Constantine - these probably represent a identification with Hercules, Jupiter and Neptune respectively). Among the very decorative shields from Dura Europos, one shows a figure of what could be Mars.

The famous 'winged thunderbolt' design appears all over Trajan's column in various forms, and was perhaps fairly ubiquitous in the middle principiate. Later shields representing gods and heroes and animals appear quite different, but may have picked up aspects of older auxiliary patterns. These may then have developed through the fourth century into the simpler and more basic designs shown in the ND.
Nathan Ross
Excellent points. I've seen images of the Dura Europus pattern shields, so it is very likely the Notitia only depicts simplified versions of what the actual patterns may have been.
Hi Tom,
Quote: For instance, the device on the oval shield of Mr. Vermaat and that of Magister Militum Flavius Aetius. They both have what looks like a pedistal mounted with a cresent moon, horns upward.
No, there is no such source. But even if there were, I doubt that there would be a need for army shield designs to follow the guidelines of heraldry. We don't know what the source for such designs were, at all. There's much speculation but no real clues. Perhaps we should look at classic Greek shield designs to understand the mechanics?

Quote:(horses heads mounted atop the horns of Mr. Vermaat's device)
I beg your pardon????? Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: :-D
Fectio has a triangle (lower half) combined with two facing wolves (upper half). :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote: Depictions of HEads, Lion/Dog heads, or Lions/cheetahs on late roman shields (Such as the Prima Flavia) may have represented that the individual person was a headhunter, and liked to keep the heads of their enemies as prizes.
The shield design was used for the entire unit, not for an individual. I cannot really imagine a whole unit of headhunters Wink nor do I believe that headhunting practices survided in the Roman army as late as the 4th century and after.

Quote:the heads may have also been depictions of Jesus, or other Religious figures
Well, now that you mention that - apart from a few possible exceptions, Christian imagery is notably abscent in shield designs shown in the Notitia Dignitatum. Contrary to images depicting emperors before and after this manuscript, for instance no Chi-Rho is shown in any shield. I would not dare to speculate about this, but it's still interesting.

Personally I believe that the designs were perhaps not permanent (athough some occur in art independent of this MS and could perhaps simply go back on the personal taste of the unit commander. Just a thought.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Keep in mind, that the shield patterns showing animals may have been modified in the medieval transcripts according to the current styles and fashions, or even depending on the country, where the were transcribed.
Although the possibility exists of course, I doubt this. As posted earlier, there are similar shield designs in Roman art (most notably the V Macedonia I think). Furthermore, although some later copyist might have misunderstood what was shown, the designs are so simple that it would have been easy to copy them without mistake. When you look at the other artwork within this MS, the mistakes do occur but are easy to spot. They do not support the idea that everything was made up during the early Middle Ages (I know that's not what you say here, but some theories suggest that).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
The villa Maria catacomb:
[attachment=4842]villamaria.jpg[/attachment] [attachment=4843]villamaria2.jpg[/attachment]
Like other known shield designs, it confirms the basic elements of the shields shown in the Notitia Dignitatum, but this one is not found in there. The soldier is Flavius Maximianus from some Auxilia Palatina regiment.

Quote: On the other hand, the twinned facing animal heads design appears not only in the ND but in other late depictions: the arch of Constantine shows a shield with a standing figure of Victory in the top half and the twin facing heads of a rather detailed but unidentified creature (goat? dragon?) in the lower half. A similar design appears on a bronze figurine weight of a later emperor, possibly Constantine again: the twinned heads of an animal, with a Christian staurogram between them. Third-century brooches (I think) found in Britain show a pair of seahorse heads on a branching crescent shape, and these too might reflect the same imagery - perhaps it was originally a Germanic design?
If they are originally Germanic, they are not found there. The facing horses are exclusively British or so it seems, but facing dolphins, cats, dragons even are even more found in late Roman military buckles. They seem to be, combined with their use in shield designs, to be common in military art for some reason.

Quote: Later shields representing gods and heroes and animals appear quite different, but may have picked up aspects of older auxiliary patterns. These may then have developed through the fourth century into the simpler and more basic designs shown in the ND.
Indeed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:Excellent points. I've seen images of the Dura Europus pattern shields, so it is very likely the Notitia only depicts simplified versions of what the actual patterns may have been.
That may be so, but perhaps the more elaborate 3rd c. patterns became more simplified by themselves as well.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:The facing horses are exclusively British or so it seems, but facing dolphins, cats, dragons even are even more found in late Roman military buckles.
You're quite right - they are belt buckles, not brooches. And I read them as seahorses, but they could be dolphins or sea serpents:

[Image: dol55.jpg]

[Image: ps340047_m.jpg]

The ones showing actual horses seem to be usually facing outwards:

[Image: hhb29.jpg]

As for cats... Cats?? :-)
Nathan Ross
Quote:As for cats... Cats?? :-)
Yes, cats, but not your pets models. :wink: Of course the term is 'zoomorphic', but some of them seems to portray the large types:
[Image: 4.8.jpg]
More: http://www.fectio.org.uk/articles/hwb/fig4.htm
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:The villa Maria catacomb:
[attachment=4842]villamaria.jpg[/attachment] [attachment=4843]villamaria2.jpg[/attachment]

That pattern at the top looks awfully similar to this pattern that is often associated with the Cornvti Seniores:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Legion Symbols Found in Ancient Cave Narukami 24 6,515 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Christian symbols on roman soldier\'s tombstones? Marcus Mummius 5 2,145 01-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Salvianus