Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Legion Symbols Found in Ancient Cave
Quote:what's the difference?
This may exist entirely in my mind, Jona! Smile I can see a difference between the once-only task of quarrying stone along the line of Hadrian's Wall to provide the necessary raw material -- a task in which the legionaries clearly took a pride, with their "ownership" inscriptions -- and the disagreeable task of mineral mining -- a task that seems to have been imposed on slaves and criminals, supervised by military units.

In the context of the Israeli find, I cannot imagine why the Roman army would have been involved; there would be no reason for legions to quarry stone here -- there is no nearby construction work -- and no reason for auxiliaries to be supervising mining -- there are no minerals in evidence. In fact, it looks more like the underground hideaways common during the Bar Kokhba revolt, but only the associated finds can help to prove this.

Does that sound sensible?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread
Re: Roman Legion Symbols Found in Ancient Cave - by D B Campbell - 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Heraldic Symbols Lothia 14 5,396 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Hospital built by the 10th Legion Found Narukami 20 5,689 11-25-2009, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Alexandr K
  Christian symbols on roman soldier\'s tombstones? Marcus Mummius 5 2,150 01-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Last Post: Salvianus