Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice Please about optio armour
Hi All ,
I have just been given a waist length Lorica Squamata and with some cleaning it has come up quite good . The questions I have are :

1/ Could a second century Optio wear this type of Lorica ?
2/ Could he wear a subarmalis with Ptregues as well ?

Just wanted to see what you think before I wore it in public so thought I would seek your advice first .

Thanks ,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Yeah ok, if you must you big poser...... Tongue

I don't see why you can't but someone will possibly even have a source saying it is in the records.
Jef Pinceal wears one, and they are definately the latest trend in Roman kit.....following the good ol' Roman ways there! :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Theres only me at the Fort as theres no Roman Group close to me and I dont drive so I cant even travel to a group which is a shame so I thought I might as well look as good as possible but I want to look right just the same for the Job I do but I guess I am a poser to Big Grin

Thanks Gaius ,

Julius
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Hey, just kidding. We all must have an exhibitionist streak to get into this, after all? Big Grin
Yeah, I would do exactly the same in your shoes, if your going to do it , might as well do the bling thing!

There are a few good threads in the Reenactment forum with pointers on making pturges etc....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
To me it seems that restrict certain types of armour to different groups within the military is a modern one. If we look at the representations and finds, it seems that the squamata had a widespread use. So, I don't see any problem by using it for a optio impression. As for Ptregues, I don't know if there is any rank accociated with the use of them.
ALA I BATAVORUM
To my knowledge all soldiers, auxilia and legionary, from the lowest rank to the highest could have worn a subarmalis with pteryges.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
...and if the squamata is waist-length, it would make sense to wear pteryges to add a little support to the upper thigh defense. What kind of helmet are you wearing with your new gear, and what time period are you aiming to represent?

Those questions may affect the way the other pieces of kit are chosen.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
You see I already do Second century Centurion and 1st / 2nd century Legionary at the fort and the helmets I use for that are the Imperial Gallic 'I' (Aquincum) and the Imperial Italic 'D' (Mainz) . I was thinking of the Gallic I ( Aquincum ) .I was thinking of mid 2nd century or there abouts but if the kit fits better for later then thats fine to . what do you think ?

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Quote:I was thinking of the Gallic I ( Aquincum ) .I was thinking of mid 2nd century or there abouts but if the kit fits better for later then thats fine to . what do you think ?

This is a helmet from approximately 60AD onwards. Although we do see this type depicted on the Tropaeum Traiani (or certainly types with a similar crest support finial. For mid second C I would suggest a cross-braced type.

Alternatives include;
Gallic I - with retro-fitted crossbracing
Gallic I type (Carnuntum)
Brigetio Gallic J types (Late 1st C) There is one in Austria at Vienna with cross-bracing! (I can send pic)
Italic G - Hebron
Italic G - Theilenhofen (See my avatar)
Italic G - Brigetio
Auxiliary Infantry B - From the position of the browguard and general shaping it is very similar to the Carnuntum type)
I'd say also the Italic H types were coming into use by mid - late 2nd C also.
Thanks Adrian ,
( If possible ) what date would you say the Aquincum was used up to ? and what would be the earliest time frame I could get away with for this impression ? I know I said I was aiming for second century but could this be suitable for first century ?

regards ,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible Roman Lamellar Armour - Need Advice. Longovicium 27 4,975 09-04-2014, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Ammianus Marcellinus