Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hariulf, protector domesticus
When I visited the "Konflikt" exposition in Kalkriese - which is more interesting than the usual exposition - I saw this inscription from Trier, which I had never seen before: a young Burgundian prince named Hariulf, who became bodyguard of a Roman emperor residing in Trier. Does anyone know more about it?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
You might try: D. Hoffmann, "Wadomer, Bacurius und Hariulf", Mus. Helv. 35 (1978) pp. 307-318. I've never read it, so I don't know if it's the same Hariulf, though.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:You might try: D. Hoffmann, "Wadomer, Bacurius und Hariulf", Mus. Helv. 35 (1978) pp. 307-318. I've never read it, so I don't know if it's the same Hariulf, though.
Yes, it's the same one. I don't have the article either, but I came across it in a cross-reference (Lee, A.D.: Information and Frontiers, p. 76 note 136). The instcription is also known as ILS 2814 and dated by Hoffmann to the last quarter of the 4th century (p. 317).
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Let no one complain about the quality of the responses at RAT: two in this thread and a PM with splendid photos. Thanks all.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centenarius protector domesticus Julian de Vries 5 2,465 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Horse eye protector from Herrera de Pisuerga Iagoba 5 2,329 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Vindex