Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horse eye protector from Herrera de Pisuerga
I don't know how to call better those, even given the fact I've handled some of them :oops: :roll:

[url:voz4q0yw]http://news.university.ie.edu/2010/06/el-profesor-perez-gonzalez-presenta-la-pieza-del-mes-en-el-museo-de-palencia.html[/url]

[Image: anteojeras-2.gif]

Found in Roman barracks dated 15b.C-15a.C in the Cantabric wars context.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
I don't know if it is the name of the whole piece or also of the eye-parts, but those things are called a chamfron.

but these are some nice and simple examples. Thanks for posting.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I don't know if it is the name of the whole piece or also of the eye-parts, but those things are called a chamfron.

but these are some nice and simple examples. Thanks for posting.

Yeah, IIRC chamfron refers to the helm or headpiece as a whole.

I recall reading somewhere that the medieval eyeslits were called ocularia. Perhaps the romans used that word?
Ben.
Nice photographs...thank you for posting them.

The attachment on the sides are interesting too...and they are not a pair, are they? The fretwork - for want of a better work - on the eye pieces is different on each one.

Don't suppose you have any measurements/dimensions by any chance please?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Maybe the two center sections are different so the right and left are easily distinguishable. It's apparent that they are removable.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Certainly a possibility, particulalrly if it was attached to something like the Vindolanda chamfron:

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/exhibit ... fron.shtml

This is from the amazing leather work collection preserved in the very specific soil conditions on the site.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centenarius protector domesticus Julian de Vries 5 2,419 02-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Hariulf, protector domesticus Jona Lendering 3 1,530 05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Jona Lendering