Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capsarius
Ave,

We were wondering about the position in the line of the capsarius and how he was equipped. Ran through the threads on this and mostly found really excellent examples of recreated medical implements. Gives our fellows a goal to strive for! But we didn't find where our capsarius was positioned, Were they pooled together at a spot in the rear of the line, placed to the rear of each cohort,...or maybe on line fighting with everyone else and then converting to capsarius duties after the battle. Somehow that last scenario doesn't seem that likely.

It is really easy to project modern practices on to this situation , and I am trying hard not to do that,... but a placement somewhere to the rear of the line to care for wounded, as the line moved forward just seems to make sense.

Can we get some opinions on this from the RAT community , and any citations would be fantastic. As far as languages go, Articles in German are no problem, and our University Latin can carry us a bit forward but not far .

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
a bit later but maybe useful.

The Maurikios Strategikon mentions a bit of the equipment and tasks of a capsarius.
Like carrying two canteens of water, riding on a horse with 2 stirrups at the left side of the horse to help a wounded soldier to get on to the horse.
Getting the equipment from the fallen after the battle and bringing this to a designated location.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
I have seen this panel from Trajan's column defined as depicting a capsarius. If this is the case, it looks like they were in the thick of things.

[Image: a_194p.jpg]

There are some much better quality images here, but unfortunately I can't find the panel in question.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
That seems to be spiral 6 on the border of panel C and D.
[url:1brtvjww]http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~trajan/buildcartoon.cgi?6d#[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ave Fratres,

Thanks for the replies. Especially on the strategekon. I will take a beating with the Vitis , in as much as I should have been able to find the reference on Trajan's column. I think from that alone , we will have our capsarius directly behind the formation, ready to rush to his fellow soldiers aid. It appears that the capsarius is equipped as his compatriots but with the addition of his medical bag. I may be missing something obvious but I am not seeing a scutum with the capsarius treating the wounded. Granted it could be laid down , left in the rear, etc. However, I don't think that the enemies of the empire would have any compunctions in targeting medical aide men. That is a modern concept that does not apply here. I think our capsarius will be armed like his compatriots, if for no other reason than self protection.

Once again, thanks for the source references !!

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Capsarius inscription on umbo Marcus Mummius 6 2,761 03-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius