Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution of the Attic Helmet???
Wow, thanks for that reply. A lot of helpful information there. I wonder though about the Attic Helmets true origins. I've read many accounts that it evolved ultimately from the corinthian, which the greeks trend towards helmets with more openess and ability to see and hear developed the chalcidian helm and than losing the nose gaurd evolved the attic helm. But I've seen depictions of the Attic Helm much before the one that developed from chalcidian types in the 3rd century BC. This helmet has a distinctive brow plate and is seen on many classical statues of the gods. There is a particular example from a vase around 455-450 BC by the Niobid Painter, and is currently in the Louvre. It apparently shows Heracles and the argonauts. I can try and scan a picture of it later on, now im pressed for time. But if you have the Osprey Warrior series "The Ancient Greeks" it can be found on page 8. One of the men in the plate depicted on the front cover on the far right is wearing it. It appears to have scales on the bowl of the helm and his cheek pieces are flipped upwards. But it has the distinct brow gaurd, crest and neck gaurd of an attic helmet, clearly not decended from chalcidian types. There are far more examples of it in greek painting and sculpture as well. I am running out of time and shall write more later and try to post some pics.
Dennis Flynn

Messages In This Thread
Evolution of the Attic Helmet??? - by Celtic505 - 05-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Re: Evolution of the Attic Helmet??? - by Celtic505 - 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Attic Helmet found? Celtic505 1 915 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM
Last Post: jho
  Authenticity Attic Helmet in Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg LorenzoTergestino 10 2,300 04-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross
  Roman Use of the Attic Helmet Hugh Fuller 57 19,335 04-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs