Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was a legionary\'s equipment custom made?
Greetings,<br>
<br>
My question is: Would there have been, let's say three sizes for helmets and armour. Or would the equipment be specialy made in the size of each soldier.<br>
<br>
The first option would seem more logic to me taking into account the vast amount of soldiers that had to be equipped.<br>
<br>
Marcus Mummius <p></p><i></i>
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
There existed state run fabricas during the later empire and considering the degree of equipment uniformity I suspect a similar situation for the early empire. Someone who knows more should interject here.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Try this link. Some interesting problems, even in modern times.<br>
<br>
www.esg.ndirect.co.uk/leg...ipment.htm <p></p><i></i>
On the other hand, the enormous variety of models and variations in those would indicate decentralized production at least.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
the exact period must have a bearing, in the early empire there is evidence that many more personal pieces were purchased or commissioned directly from civilian vendors. meanwhile by the late roman period we hear of a more organised state factory system... <p></p><i></i>
Even during the 1st century many forts had industrial annexes immediately outside the fort defences. Some sites specifically for producing tiles and iron were located within the forts territorium, as at Quernmore, nr Lancaster. Evidence from these early 1st century fort annexes indicates heavy industrial activity in the form of smelting iron, bronze casting and other metal working, which was geared specifically for the production of arms and armour, as in the case of Templeborough, Manchester, possibly Chesterfield and Derby. This is not only indicated by types of slag, metal splashes, etc, but in the form of L shaped smithy hearths, which appear to be specifically used to produce weaponry. From the late 1st, early 2nd Century we have evidence from some of these sites, such as Little Chester (Derby), Templeborough, Wilderspool, Walton-le Dale, etc not only again of weapons/armour production but that the actual weapons were being carburised (edges being steeled). It would appear that this all came under military supervision run by an optio fabrica or a beneficiarius. It is possible that the iron needed for these processes was mined and processed within the forts territorium and sent to the fort for production of armour and weapons.<br>
To summarise, even in the early empire there was already a well-developed, highly industrialised system in place, to exploit all mineral resources, including iron and coal for the production of arms & armour for the military.<br>
<br>
It is known that the soldiers paid for their own equipment by stoppages from their pay and sold it on retirement as part of their pension fund. Therefore they would not in most cases have initially bought from vendors. It would have been too expensive – like a new recruit buying a Rolls Royce. Obviously some of this “retiredâ€ÂÂ
There are mass produced montefortinos with factory stamps from the late republican period. <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius Valerian 33 9,482 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  How is the equipment of an early republican legionary? Araujo 32 6,652 02-08-2008, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio