Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata shoulder width
Greetings,
I'm making some Lorica Segmentata shoulders via the Corbridge type A for sporting purposes (SCA) out of Cuir Bouilli leather. I need advise on the 4 lower shoulder pieces. The leather is thicker than the metal you're all using and may need to be compensated for, such as making the lames a bit wider.

I have reviewed all the patterns available on the internet. They all say to adjust length as necessary, nothing mentions width. (though this may be an obvious leap for some people)

I am 6 feet 2 inches tall. There is no base size on any of the patterns; such as this pattern will fit a guy who is of average build and 5'8" for example.

I've made cardboard sets and they just don't hang the same as the finished armor will so I am still struggling with this. The 2.5 inch wide cardboard seems okay, but I don't' know if by adding the 0.5" if I'll somehow be making it too wide and thereby making too large a flat surface which may not be able to take a blow as well as a thinner piece. They seem to look ok, and hang about 4-5 inches from the point of my elbow. Once strapped on they would span about 10 inches at most. (still talking about just the 4 lower shoulder pieces)

Here is my question. Since I am larger than your average Roman, should I expand the width of the 4 lower shoulder pieces from 2 inches (as all the patterns say) to 2.5 inches?

Have other people done this or is everyone sticking to 2"?

Thanks
FB
You might want to include the extra inch so you can get the extra underlap for more structural integrity. Overall, it shouldn't hang below the middle of your humeros bone.
Q. ARTORIVS CORVINVS
aka: Phillip Vautour
"Rome is but a wilderness of tigers, and tigers must prey."
<a class="postlink" href="http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi">http://rubicon.dyndns.org/legioxxi
The 2.5 inch plates in mock up I did using file folders (instead of cardboard) hangs at about mid way down the Humerus bone. The thickness of the leather will be 1/4 of an inch. So when all the plates are connected by riveted staps I'll lose around an inch. Or will I gain an inch as they are underlapped, making them hang too low? Hmmmm I've confused myself.

I could just stick to the 2 inches the pattern suggests or I could move thee plates to 2.25 instead of 2.5 in order to make sure I don't hang as low.

I do want them to hang a bit (at most half way down and at least 1/4 down) and not be like football shoulder pads that stick straight out, so I can take a side shot to the shoulder (top of humerus)
You're going to have to scale them...my friend is about your size, and i'm pretty sure he scaled all of his plates accordingly. He's the one on the left...

[Image: lorback2.jpg]

Legion: TBD
Thanks. I went ahead and cut them at 2.5 inches instead of the pattern 2. Worst case is I have to trim them down a bit if they hang too low. Better that then having to cut new ones because they don't hang low enough.

Thanks
FB
Good idea. It's easier to trim then to "add" material on...

Legion: TBD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lorica Segmentata Hardware. Marcus33 0 272 10-28-2021, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Marcus33
  Lorica segmentata construction help 9thlegion 4 1,790 03-03-2018, 02:53 AM
Last Post: A_Volpe
  Advice on removing rust from Lorica Segmentata Adriangunn 6 3,945 02-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Mervlvs